Troops under criminal investigation over detention of Iraqis 13 years ago
British troops are under criminal investigation over the detention of Iraqis in Basra 13 years ago.
The probe is focused on allegations of ill-treatment of two Iraqis who were accused of involvement in the deaths of two British soldiers during the conflict.
Staff Sergeant Simon Cullingworth and Sapper Luke Allsopp were killed in 2003.
The two British bomb disposal officers were captured when their convoy was ambushed by militiamen, and they were taken to a military intelligence compound where they were shot dead.
Faisal al-Saadoon and Khalaf Mufdhi were detained by British forces and held... read more
- 09:57 All Blacks secure world-record win in Auckland
- 09:56 Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny admits they will have to vary their...
- 09:56 Eggs of mosquito capable of carrying the Zika virus found in the UK
- 09:56 Britons spend eight years of their lives on housework
- 09:54 Phew! What's that pong over Lincoln?
- 09:53 Weston brothers in pop with plan to put smile back into music
- 09:52 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho will always respect Chelsea...
- 09:52 National news headlines for Saturday October 22
- 09:51 Foul-mouthed parent rants at woman after school parking complaint
- 09:51 Kanye West pays tribute to wife Kim Kardashian in emotional...
- 09:51 Australians rally for refugees in stand against far-right sentiment
- 09:50 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:50 Train derails and overturns in Cameroon killing at least 53 and...
- 09:50 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at north Cumbrian school's...
- 09:49 Fire crews release casualty trapped in machinery at Dyke
- 09:47 BREAKING: Murder probe as British man found tied to Malaga airport...
- 09:46 Pet shop owner fined over waste disposal shambles
- 09:46 Orionids meteor shower: how to see this weekend’s spectacle
- 09:46 Bus wars: Arriva responds to YourBus competition with refurbished...
- 09:44 Oswestry skatepark death: Rave boss avoids being sent to jail
- 09:44 Shropshire netball official jailed for taking £50,000 of club funds...
- 09:44 Property damaged in chip pan fire
- 09:42 Firebugs cause more damage to playground
- 09:42 Warning after youths seen with fireworks at park
- 09:42 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:42 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at Cumbrian school's prize...
- 09:40 Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny: This is how Arsene Wenger proved...
- 09:40 Marcus Rashford: Chelsea are just like Manchester United
- 09:38 Fundraising appeal to save Cantelupe Centre from closure gains...
- 09:38 You can ‘bank’ on volunteers to revamp school play area