Trial raises Parkinson's therapy hope
Scientists have restored nerve cells destroyed by a condition similar to Parkinson's disease, in monkeys.
The Japanese team hope their work could lead to stem cell trials in human patients before the end of 2018.
Parkinson's disease causes the progressive loss of nerve cells that release dopamine, a chemical that helps control body movement.
The researchers triggered a similar loss of cells in macaque monkeys, then used human stem cells to replace them.
The animals showed significant improvement in their symptoms two years after having precursor dopamine neurons derived from human stem... read more
- 15:50 James Arthur sued by The Script over Say You Won't Let Go
- 15:50 Yorkshire set for heavy downpours and thunderstorms this week
- 15:49 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:49 My ex-wife and I agreed to split my pension 50-50, but my old...
- 15:49 Wael Abbas: Prominent Egyptian blogger 'arrested'
- 15:48 Police seeking this man following Chesterfield football disturbance
- 15:46 Ensuring a lasting legacy for Nick with Foundation
- 15:45 PM Theresa May denies responsibility for changes to hospital...
- 15:44 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:43 Battered chip shacks of Brussels in taste tussle
- 15:42 Roy Nelson hopes Bellator will make things right after London...
- 15:42 Unai Emery wants Arsenal to adopt a ‘very intensive pressing...
- 15:41 Suicidal mom killed herself and murdered son, 8, by pulling him...
- 15:41 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:40 Iain Duncan Smith had 'issues' with Troubled Families scheme
- 15:37 What was in the royal wedding gift bags that are being sold for...
- 15:35 Turkish lira plummets against dollar
- 15:32 Hamburg becomes first German city to ban older diesel cars
- 15:31 First look at Dundee V&A's waterfront restaurant and cafe
- 15:30 VIDEO: What is it like to ride the new ICON rollercoaster at...
- 15:29 Credit card use by Northants County Council questioned by auditors
- 15:29 Criminals involved in weapons offences rarely get jail terms of...
- 15:29 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following 'unexplained' death
- 15:28 Unai Emery sends message to Mesut Ozil over his role at Arsenal
- 15:28 RUMOUR MILL: Liverpool want to sign Barcelona star Dembele
- 15:28 Not So Health-Conscious Britain: Survey Finds Nearly Half Of East...
- 15:27 Facebook is asking for your naked photos - to stop revenge porn
- 15:27 Doncaster man Tony Lister had opportunity of a lifetime to play his...
- 15:26 Jordan Peterson may be a ‘public intellectual’, but his latest...
- 15:26 Credit card use by Northants County Council questioned by auditors