Travis Perkins owner Wickes closing 30 shops – 600 jobs at risk due to 'uncertain' trading
The company, which employs 28,000 people across its 2,060 stores, said it was taking the steps due to an “uncertain UK outlook” for next year.
Profits will also be lower than expected this year due to weak sales in its plumbing and heating division.
The firm is closing branches of Travis Perkins, Benchmarx, BSS and PTS, but not Wickes.
Chief executive John Carter said : “It is still too early to predict customer demand in 2017 with certainty and we will continue to monitor our lead indicators closely. Given this uncertainty we will be closing over 30 branches and making further efficiency... read more
- 10:26 Manchester City defender Gael Clichy reveals DJ Jazzy Jeff is his...
- 10:25 Chesterfield council: 'We can't afford to build and run an ice rink'
- 10:24 Europeans brought a deadly stomach bacteria to the Americas 500...
- 10:24 Great Barrier Reef could be hit by its WORST-EVER blast of coral...
- 10:24 Jamie Vardy movie still on track despite Claudio Ranieri sacking
- 10:23 Manchester United defender Guillermo Varela claims Frankfurt is...
- 10:22 Caught on Camera: Can you help North Wales Police find these people?
- 10:22 Growing times at hair salon in Spalding
- 10:22 SE Asia Stocks-Lower; Trump's tirade on China weighs
- 10:22 British woman ‘secretly buys apartment where Madeleine...
- 10:21 Vicky McClure talks The Replacement, Line Of Duty and those James...
- 10:21 Nuneaton woman arrested over crash which killed expectant father
- 10:20 ‘Dangerous’ road needs new crossing say worried parents
- 10:19 National award for ‘loyal’ Amelia
- 10:19 Guess who’s back! Leeds Festival date for rap star Eminem
- 10:19 ‘Dangerous’ road needs new crossing say worried parents
- 10:18 7 Leicester Comedy Festival shows on tonight
- 10:18 Train lines reopen for Northampton's evening commuters after 'bins...
- 10:18 St Margaret's Way closed county-bound due to storm damage
- 10:18 A place only for the bold as Doris batters Blackpool
- 10:18 Five out of five for Poulton apartments
- 10:17 Nine in a row as RBS posts annual loss and flags job cuts
- 10:17 Wolves vs Birmingham City: Paul Lambert on Gianfranco Zola and the...
- 10:17 Walking Dead actor mocks claims of racism after Primark T-shirt is...
- 10:17 Celtic fined £16k UEFA for pyro at Manchester City clash
- 10:17 Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce provides an update on the Chris Samba...
- 10:17 West Brom team news: The latest from Tony Pulis on his squad
- 10:17 Iraqi forces push into first districts of western Mosul
- 10:16 Vandals pour paint stripper on cars in Amber Valley
- 10:16 Bank staff donate £20,000 to hospice