Transgender teen took his own life after school said he couldn’t change his name
A transgender teenager took his own life after his school told him he could not change his name.
An inquest heard that Leo Etherington was told he must use the name Louise until he was 16.
The 15-year-old, from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, was discovered by his father, Martin who was bringing him up alone following the death of his wife in 2013.
He told the inquest: ‘The school had told him he had to be 16 to change his name. He said that he was angry with the school. I said we could wait until he was 16 and legally change his name then
The father added that he had always been accepting... read more
- 08:41 Firm offers rental deal to veterans
- 08:41 Health chiefs raise awareness of regular HIV testing
- 08:39 'Arrogant' member of Ulverston social club fined for late-night pub...
- 08:39 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:35 50 years of hits from a TV station that really caught fire
- 08:34 Youngsters decorating baubles for community
- 08:34 Ryan Seacrest denies sexual misconduct allegations
- 08:31 Norham stages successful show
- 08:31 Rotary early birds to light up Berwick for Christmas-time
- 08:31 Northumbria Police praised for domestic abuse work
- 08:27 Loony Joons: Kung fu keeper can't take all the blame for the battle...
- 08:25 England bowlers toil on final warm-up day ahead of first Ashes Test...
- 08:24 Kezia Dugdale to appear on ‘I’m a Celebrity’
- 08:24 'Shame the low life scum': Watch Police car smashed with hammer
- 08:23 Manchester City team news for Leicester game will be a big pointer...
- 08:23 How Manchester United should line up vs Newcastle
- 08:20 Charity banks on generous help from Pat and her colleagues
- 08:11 Kirklees council leader confirms he will step down in 2019
- 08:10 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:10 School funding campaigners hit streets in Cumbria today
- 08:09 EU and me: writers reminisce on their relationship with Europe
- 08:09 WEEKEND WEB: Free Press letters
- 08:08 Kim Kardashian’s surrogate didn’t know she was carrying Kimye’s baby
- 08:08 Wallsend charity planning its Christmas events
- 08:07 Cycling charity wants visitors to join the ride at the Piece Hall
- 08:07 Watch out drivers - mobile speed cameras can catch you out for more...
- 08:07 The £1m club: Homes you could get for a million in the North East...
- 08:07 Durham businesswoman hoping to raise £50,000 to take on B&M over...
- 08:05 Kenilworth-based screenwriter backs Observer campaign
- 08:05 Turnaround in fortunes wins praise for Carlisle primary school