Trainee nurse saw three doctors before her bowel cancer was finally diagnosed in A&E
News that symptoms in one in five bowel cancer patients are ignored came as no big shock to me. I saw three GPs in the space of 14 months with pain, tiredness and irregular toilet habits – all signs of bowel cancer.
But it took a trip to A&E, when I was doubled up with stomach pains, before I was finally diagnosed.
I think the problem is that GPs don’t automatically suspect that young people can be suffering from bowel cancer and,
in turn, young patients are not persistent enough in challenging doctors.
I first went to my GP in London in March 2009 after suffering sore joints and... read more
- 00:34 Edinburgh Fringe: THIS has been named as the funniest joke of the...
- 00:32 Angola to vote to replace long-serving President Dos Santos
- 00:31 EastEnders spoilers: Jay Mitchell gets a surprise visitor after...
- 00:31 EastEnders spoilers: Shock return for killer child Bobby Beale?
- 00:30 AIs that learn from photos become SEXIST and associate women with...
- 00:30 Chimpanzees AND humans spontaneously copy others to pass on new...
- 00:27 The Battle of Hill 70: Canada's forgotten World War One victory
- 00:24 'Always nice to see a few familiar faces': Wayne Rooney taunts...
- 00:22 U-turn over water changes in west Cumbria
- 00:21 Coutinho: If Liverpool signed Keita, Van Dijk and Salah they...
- 00:20 Great Wall of China revs up bid for Fiat Chrysler
- 00:19 PSG close to Kylian Mbappe agreement and in Fabinho talks: Duo to...
- 00:14 Crystal Palace make £15m move for Spurs' defender Kevin Wimmer...
- 00:14 Shock as Burger Chain Kicks Deaf Man Out
- 00:14 Eleanor Rigby's grave goes up for auction
- 00:14 'Stop the fags' poster appears in Melbourne
- 00:14 Are Turkey’s schools dropping evolution and teaching jihad?
- 00:13 Thomas Lemar to Arsenal: Monaco consider selling star before...
- 00:11 'We should give back art looted by the Nazis'
- 00:11 Ford announces £2,000 scrappage scheme for pre-2010 cars
- 00:10 Supplement warning: Not enough of THIS vitamin past age of 60 risks...
- 00:10 Arthritis diet: The SIX foods to avoid if you suffer painful symptoms
- 00:10 Babies born to obese mothers at 'higher risk of asthma'
- 00:10 How a school play about Aboriginal history set off a row
- 00:10 What happened when teens from Kashmir and Delhi became pen pals
- 00:10 Luke Shaw and Ashley Young back in action after injury as...
- 00:08 U-turn over water changes in West Cumbria
- 00:06 Chelsea await outcome of Arsenal and Oxlade-Chamberlain talks: No...
- 00:05 Iraq: Baghdad’s soldiers advance on Isis-held town of Tal Afar
- 00:05 Venezuela: Assembly ‘will foil black marketeers’