Trainee nurse saw three doctors before her bowel cancer was finally diagnosed in A&E
News that symptoms in one in five bowel cancer patients are ignored came as no big shock to me. I saw three GPs in the space of 14 months with pain, tiredness and irregular toilet habits – all signs of bowel cancer.
But it took a trip to A&E, when I was doubled up with stomach pains, before I was finally diagnosed.
I think the problem is that GPs don’t automatically suspect that young people can be suffering from bowel cancer and,
in turn, young patients are not persistent enough in challenging doctors.
I first went to my GP in London in March 2009 after suffering sore joints and... read more
- 14:04 Famous North Yorkshire brewery unveils new beer for Six Nations rugby
- 14:04 Whole world at winter party
- 14:04 Festive period busiest on record for region’s NHS
- 14:03 BT announces price hikes for broadband, landline and sport
- 14:03 More staff needed for ambulances
- 14:00 Danger driver jailed for more than six years after devastating...
- 14:00 Naked man found handcuffed and hanged in latex gas mask by...
- 14:00 Italy avalanche: Incredible footage shows moment young boy is...
- 13:59 David Haye creates new promotion company Hayemaker Ringstar in...
- 13:59 Diego Costa is available to play against Hull on Sunday... and he...
- 13:58 Man in court accused of attempted murder of police officer
- 13:58 Appeal lodged following Carlisle pub assault
- 13:58 REVEALED: Derbyshire schools GCSE performance tables
- 13:58 Rangers star Barrie McKay should jump at the chance to move to...
- 13:57 Police want to trace this Tuebrook man as part of attack probe
- 13:57 FC Stratford boss Poulson rues poor decision-making
- 13:57 Wirksworth joins ‘Bridges not Walls’ banner drop as Donald Trump...
- 13:57 QUICK QUIZ: This week’s news in questions
- 13:56 Builder, 34, has jail term slashed after attack on Andy Bemrose
- 13:56 JAILED: Depraved man who attempted to rape young girl filmed his...
- 13:56 Driver suspected of killing four in Melbourne crash ‘was out on bail’
- 13:56 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 13:56 Gainsborough man who stole £978 in cash dodges jail sentence
- 13:55 Pokemon Go NEWS: Next BIG Niantic event update will SURPRISE you
- 13:55 Man in court accused of attempted murder of police officer
- 13:55 Sunderland have fewest goalscorers in Europe's top five leagues...
- 13:54 US STOCKS-Wall St set to rise ahead of Trump inauguration
- 13:54 Festive period busiest on record for region’s NHS
- 13:53 We tried masturbating at work for a week and this is what happened
- 13:53 Arsenal legend Ian Wright drops Chelsea transfer bombshell