Toxic silo clean-up starts at Sellafield
“Keyhole surgery” is being used to tackle part of Sellafield’s nuclear clean-up.
Engineers at the west Cumbrian site have begun to remove six deflector plates inside the Pile Fuel Cladding Silo (PFCS).
This is one of the oldest and most dangerous buildings at Sellafield and the work has started after a year of training, development and trials.
These six plates were originally used to deflect magnox swarf waste, pile fuel cladding and other toxic waste tipped into the building during the Cold War.
They need to be removed so the waste can be lifted out and put into a safer place when... read more
- 09:41 12 soap spoiler pictures: Emmerdale death danger, Coronation Street...
- 09:41 Avicii ‘lived on free alcohol and airport food’ in the years before...
- 09:41 Leonardo DiCaprio and Quentin Tarantino tease Once Upon A Time In...
- 09:41 Coronation Street fans are worried for David Platt as he seduces...
- 09:41 Police investigating death of man found inside Batley house
- 09:41 Coronation Street is set for a massive change - here's what's...
- 09:40 Coffee and cake raises £410 for Melton Mowbray Parkinson’s Support...
- 09:40 Football transfer rumours: Manchester City to let John Stones go?
- 09:40 Liverpool vs Roma: Mo Salah key in battle of underdogs - Klopp
- 09:39 Time is running out to enter the Wakefield Business Awards
- 09:39 Three-vehicle crash near Stoneleigh
- 09:39 Pothole ends Kenilworth man’s 140 mile charity challenge
- 09:36 Man attacked near Sheffield massage parlour still 'critical'
- 09:36 Morecambe theatre to host zoo party
- 09:36 Could you take on the ninja obstacle course that is coming to Leeds?
- 09:35 What work can you do to your home without planning permission?
- 09:35 Morocco World Cup 2026 bid faces up to fresh scrutiny as FIFA send...
- 09:35 Britain braced to be drenched by April showers after spring heatwave
- 09:35 Carlo Ancelotti has 'secret meeting' with Italy as he closes in on...
- 09:35 Carbon monoxide poison warning after three people were hospitalised
- 09:35 Brighouse company teaches children importance of learning first aid
- 09:35 Michael Owen’s Champions League & Europa League predictions,...
- 09:33 Severe disruption to Northern train services after incident between...
- 09:32 Plans for new Premier Inn on Scarborough waterpark site revealed
- 09:32 Corbyn must expel antisemites, says Holocaust survivor
- 09:31 Watch: What work can you do to your home WITHOUT planning permission?
- 09:31 'Hipster salty sea dog': Jacinda Ardern defends partner 'Clarke...
- 09:30 Britain’s Most Wanted list: sexual crimes
- 09:30 Sheffield killer facing life for shooting is no stranger to prison
- 09:30 Expansion planned at prominent Carlisle factory