Tory shake-up will ‘put profiteers in charge of children’
by Conrad Landin
CHILDREN will be exposed to a “postcode lottery of protection” if new Tory legislation is passed into law, family court workers yesterday.
An emergency motion passed unanimously at union Napo’s annual general meeting said the government’s Children and Social Work Bill gives local councils power to slash and privatise support for vulnerable youngsters.
The Bill is due to be heard in the House of Lords later this month.
Family courts rep Nicky Kenny told the AGM the new laws would leave children “open to abuse of a different kind from the private profitmaking... read more
- 09:51 Air ambulance at scene of crash involving lorry and motorbike
- 09:50 'Stubborn' swan blocks M27 at Fareham
- 09:50 This Nottinghamshire design firm is looking to boost the web...
- 09:49 Burglars steal car keys from Sandiacre home - then take Citroen...
- 09:49 UK food and drink sales hit £20bn across the world
- 09:49 Roman Abramovich secures crucial deal: Chelsea fans will love this
- 09:48 Czechs, tired of being 'Europe's garbage can', will push for better...
- 09:48 China jails former head of safety watchdog for 15 years for graft
- 09:47 Serious cause behind the smile
- 09:47 Explorer Levison Wood to entertain Chesterfield with stories of his...
- 09:46 Sutton United boss hits out at 20-stone goalie Wayne Shaw for...
- 09:45 You can skip this ad in a year: YouTube drops 30-second commercials
- 09:45 YP Comment: The best and worst of politics
- 09:45 Pundit addresses rumours of Man United’s £30m Arsenal raid: This...
- 09:45 Multi vehicle accident on M62 near Leeds
- 09:45 Milo Yiannopoulos banned from conference over paedophilia comments
- 09:45 Children's sex book causes stir in Indonesia
- 09:45 COURT REGISTER
- 09:45 THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Catching God’s attention as spring arrives...
- 09:44 South Africa grants Barclays Africa some immunity in FX rigging probe
- 09:44 Hammond closes in on budget goal after strong January tax inflows
- 09:44 Mourinho mind games begin as Man Utd draw Chelsea in FA Cup
- 09:44 Marlpool model set for a comeback
- 09:44 Asia stocks consolidate recent gains; China shines
- 09:43 Tory leader challenges council's call to splash cash on traffic...
- 09:43 Scarlett Moffatt 'gutted' as her family is axed from next Gogglebox...
- 09:42 Queen of the jungle Scarlett Moffatt 'gutted' at family's...
- 09:42 Police dig at former Swindon home of double killer...
- 09:42 Ukip leader Paul Nuttall gives witness statement to Hillsborough probe
- 09:42 Louth Golf Club: Eileen claims the Valentine’s Day honours