Tom Richmond: Trains or planes, we need links that mean business
THE promise of extra flights between Leeds Bradford Airport and Heathrow needs to be placed in a wider political context.
They will only happen if the Government consents to a controversial third runway at Heathrow and this ‘sweetener’ is intended to increase the pressure on Theresa May as her commitment to the Northern Powerhouse is questioned.
The issue is so complex that the Prime Minister is considering the unusual step of giving all MPs a free vote in order to avoid embarrassing Cabinet splits – a number of senior politicians, including the Tory leader, represent constituencies which... read more
- 14:11 Devoted dad 'battered to death with cricket bat' after 'confronting...
- 14:10 UPDATE: Two men arrested following armed police operation in...
- 14:10 Planning applications: What is being built where you live?
- 14:09 Reading bug hits school students
- 14:09 Chris Grayling accused of ‘running scared’ as he pulls out of...
- 14:09 Solicitor is found guilty of stealing Wigan firm’s cash
- 14:08 Gentle old horse had to be put down after thugs cut its tongue out
- 14:08 Poundworld to hold 'closing down' sales as administrators insist...
- 14:06 Support proves key for teachers and children alike in Kenya’s...
- 14:06 UPDATE: Two men arrested following armed police operation in...
- 14:05 Bumper crowd turns out for Cleary's Home Show
- 14:03 Work continues on derelict Central Plaza Hotel in Carlisle
- 14:02 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 14:01 Appeal to trace family of Washington man
- 14:00 Ex-navy officer to be sentenced for sexual offences against eight...
- 14:00 Charity cyclist to set off at border
- 14:00 Should cobbles make a return to town centre?
- 14:00 Woman found after police appeal
- 14:00 RSPB: Frogs and toads are disappearing from Cumbrian gardens
- 14:00 Mesh bags are a thing this summer so our wallets can rejoice
- 13:59 Is it time to legalise medical cannabis in the UK?
- 13:59 Hull's Poundworld stores are officially closing - with a massive...
- 13:58 Two men rob man and woman of bike and phone in Northampton
- 13:58 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 13:56 Arsenal transfer news: How Ever Banega could fit into Unai Emery's...
- 13:56 Gateshead snap up released Middlesbrough youngster
- 13:55 Primary school bullies chop off five-year-old disabled girl's hair...
- 13:55 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 13:55 It's going to be a scorcher and here's what's happening
- 13:54 Argentinean TV station held a minute’s silence after Croatia defeat