Toddler died after swallowing battery from 3D TV glasses
A toddler died a week after swallowing a button battery used in 3D TV glasses, an inquest has found.
Two-year-old Francesca Asan was taken to Basingstoke hospital in May after becoming ill and died within hours. A small battery was found later during tests.
An inquest heard it burnt through an artery close to her windpipe.
Coroner Andrew Bradley returned a verdict of misadventure and urged parents to be cautious.
If accidentally swallowed, the small, round batteries can get lodged in the oesophagus and burn a hole through its lining.
The inquest heard Francesca was born with an artery out... read more
- 13:31 The story behind Business Secretary's backing for Grimsby's...
- 13:31 VIDEO: £5m retail development at the former Vesuvius factory site...
- 13:31 Watch incredible moment traffic cops box in suspected criminals as...
- 13:31 Fightback dinner celebrates the youngest person in Scotland living...
- 13:31 New divides over oil prices as Opec heads for crunch meeting
- 13:29 Roads now open following serious collision near Northampton
- 13:29 Edinburgh’s Archangels syndicate takes top spot
- 13:29 Man City chief provides major update on Jorginho deal
- 13:29 Culture secretary urges BBC to appoint female Question Time host
- 13:29 Shamed MSP Mark McDonald 'should be suspended from Holyrood'
- 13:28 Mum's airing cupboard death 'devastated family'
- 13:28 Police car collides with bus in Newport, injuring 10
- 13:26 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Carlisle comes up trumps when it comes to clean air
- 13:25 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Dinosaur bones, shark teeth and crocodile armour at popular museum
- 13:25 Theresa May’s backdrop collapses again in Prime Ministerial...
- 13:25 Teen remanded over Wakefield city-centre stabbing
- 13:24 Top Grasmere chef proves he can handle the heat
- 13:24 A thief who struck at a shopping centre has been locked-up and...
- 13:23 Parents swap the suburban life for living on the open road in an...
- 13:23 'You can lose my suitcases but don't take my stroopwafel!' United...
- 13:23 Book review: The Blood Road, by Stuart MacBride
- 13:23 Book review: Assurances, by JO Morgan
- 13:23 Trader's €1bn deals voided after training platform mix-up
- 13:23 Nato chief says Trump-Putin meeting would not contradict policy
- 13:23 Iran's female football supporters make history at World Cup stadium...
- 13:23 Myrtle Allen obituary
- 13:23 Ulverston hailed as third best town in the country to live in
- 13:23 Ambulance crews get police award for work to try and save life of...