Toby Young's appointment leaves new regulator 'in tatters', says Labour
Toby Young's appointment to the board of the new Office for Students has left the university regulator with its "credibility in tatters", says Dawn Butler, Labour's shadow secretary for women and equalities.
It follows accusations that Mr Young had made offensive comments on Twitter.
But Universities Minister Jo Johnson rejected "armchair critics" and said Mr Young had already apologised.
The prime minister had said she was "not impressed" by Mr Young's language.
Ms Butler, challenging the appointment of Mr Young, told the House of Commons she was... read more
- 18:02 Hero neighbour rushes into burning home to get people out of...
- 18:02 John Bercow aims to stay on as Speaker to oversee Brexit process
- 18:01 Serbia vs Switzerland LIVE: Team news and World Cup updates from...
- 18:01 Sergej Milinkovic-Savic: Why Man Utd, Real Madrid and Barcelona...
- 18:01 300 Easyjet and Ryanair flights cancelled this weekend - are you...
- 18:00 Plans to fix dangerous Sutton road
- 18:00 John Leslie cleared over Edinburgh nightclub hen night sex assault...
- 17:57 Police hunt man after damage to Barrow pub
- 17:57 Refugee reveals the terrifying moment he fled Darfur during civil war
- 17:57 North and South Korea agree to reunite families split by war
- 17:52 Durham University student cleared of rape and sexual assault
- 17:52 Phillip Wearne obituary
- 17:52 BMW joins Airbus in Brexit warning
- 17:51 Coventry City boss Mark Robins's reaction to the new League One...
- 17:50 Scale of repairs revealed at ceiling collapse school in Birmingham
- 17:50 House of Fraser closure could be a housing 'opportunity' for...
- 17:47 Judge rejects bid for gender-neutral passports
- 17:46 Pair deny Cockermouth Christmas Day assault allegations
- 17:44 Bus diversions after car overturns in Beeches Road, Great Barr
- 17:43 Popular Hull café Nibble to double in size in city's booming Fruit...
- 17:43 Best of British with the Range Rover Evoque
- 17:43 Police refuse to give up but after 114 orders made, is this...
- 17:43 National Kissing Day: There’s nothing wrong with kissing on the...
- 17:42 Police appeal after arson at Chesterfield gym
- 17:42 Noise complaints force Edinburgh music festival indoors
- 17:40 Romelu Lukaku working on helping Belgium to win rather than Golden...
- 17:40 Windrush service celebrates generation's contribution to Britain
- 17:38 Retford United to unveil renovated clubhouse at grand opening event...
- 17:38 Multiple 999 crews rush in and air ambulance spotted above village...
- 17:38 UK faces risk from slump in China, warns Bank of England