Tobacco giants return to court in battle against plain packaging rules
They suffered what anti-smoking campaigners described as a ''crushing defeat'' at the High Court in May.
The day before new regulations come into force, a judge in London declared that they were ''valid and lawful in all respects''.
Mr Justice Green rejected a judicial review action brought against Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
The judge declared: "There is no basis upon which I could or should strike down the regulations or prevent them coming into effect tomorrow.''
Should tobacco be sold in plain packaging?YesNo Philip Morris International, British American Tobacco, Imperial... read more
- 19:54 Fire crews battling blaze at Brimham Rocks
- 19:51 Samantha Markle accuses Meghan’s mother of ‘cashing in’ on royal...
- 19:50 South Shields bomb tragedy couple’s families remember them in home...
- 19:50 Minister says fracking plans not designed to loosen regulations
- 19:48 New Sunderland owner says sacked Chris Coleman could return to club
- 19:48 Danny Cipriani could make his England comeback in full-back role
- 19:46 Meryl Streep and Oprah Winfrey among stars signing gender equality...
- 19:43 Alfreton mum “gobsmacked” by train failures after son’s lucky escape
- 19:43 In pictures: Heanor wrestling show bags £900 for anti-bullying charity
- 19:40 Man Utd have made ‘phone calls’ to Tottenham over huge summer...
- 19:35 Ireland abortion referendum goes down to the wire
- 19:26 MPs call for pet shop puppy sales ban
- 19:23 Grenfell inquiry opens to emotional testimony from survivors
- 19:23 Russian activity in City of London faces further scrutiny by MPs
- 19:23 Part of M20 to be used as lorry park to counter Brexit jams at Channel
- 19:17 Matlock student competes for Young Horticulturalist of the Year title
- 19:16 Darren Moore's West Brom to do list: The issues the new boss must...
- 19:11 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Why angry UK needed a royal wedding
- 19:11 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Indyref2 may be battle of ‘identitarian’ politics
- 19:10 Author Kate Mosse on returning to writing after a long hiatus
- 19:10 Forget two-week holidays and go for three-day adventures instead
- 19:09 Voters prefer Labor's tax plan, but two-party gap tightens –...
- 19:09 Barack and Michelle Obama to make films for Netflix
- 19:08 Man calls cops after being stalked by pig
- 19:08 Former Emmerdale star Lisa Riley reveals she's engaged to her "soul...
- 19:05 Jim Murphy: can the ‘Irn-Bru’ street fighter save Scottish Labour?
- 19:00 Family's frantic search for Romeo the talking parrot who flew off...
- 18:59 Desire can deliver Champions League dream for Liverpool, says...
- 18:58 Scarborough teenage hammer threat car robbers locked up for 11 years
- 18:57 Doors, backpacks and Ritalin: what Republicans have blamed school...