Tobacco giants return to court in battle against plain packaging rules
They suffered what anti-smoking campaigners described as a ''crushing defeat'' at the High Court in May.
The day before new regulations come into force, a judge in London declared that they were ''valid and lawful in all respects''.
Mr Justice Green rejected a judicial review action brought against Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
The judge declared: "There is no basis upon which I could or should strike down the regulations or prevent them coming into effect tomorrow.''
Should tobacco be sold in plain packaging?YesNo Philip Morris International, British American Tobacco, Imperial... read more
- 12:04 Manchester United face Griezmann competition, Rooney wanted and...
- 12:04 Where next for Kenilworth’s voters if Warwick and Leamington...
- 12:04 Man City defender Pablo Maffeo opens up about nerves vs Manchester...
- 12:04 Credit to Burnley company defending against card fraud
- 12:03 Bastian Schweinsteiger sends message to Man United players ahead of...
- 12:03 Which type of NOSE do you have? From the Nubian to the Hawk, expert...
- 12:02 West Ham ‘s London Stadium branded a ‘powder keg’ for trouble...
- 12:02 Sir Alex Ferguson lauds Arsenal star Alex Iwobi after winger’s...
- 12:02 Retiring Blackpool hairdresser’s permanent wave goodbye!
- 12:02 Fylde coast shale gas supply chain events planned
- 12:02 Highstreets hit as online retail rise continues
- 12:02 Hotel and pub fined over food hygiene
- 12:01 Tata Steel says European steel plans unchanged
- 12:01 11 things you’re now too old to do at Halloween
- 12:01 Calls for Warwickshire people to ‘stand up and fight’ council cuts
- 12:01 Parents allow kids to spend over 20 hours at computer over half term
- 12:01 Tarporley hosts first inter-schools cross country event of the term
- 12:01 M&S opens pop-up Christmas shop in Leamington
- 12:01 Man in court over suspect North Greenwich Tube device
- 12:00 XV Beyond The Tryline: Watch EXCLUSIVE rugby trailer with Prince...
- 12:00 Tottenham snubbed by Uber over £20m-a-year deal: Picture of model...
- 12:00 This history of McNames - a Scottish surnames McA-Z
- 12:00 Plans to double the number of places at Wellingborough primary school
- 11:59 Diamond confident Cobblers will get Sixfields form back on track
- 11:59 Jones salutes Wood’s improvement after Saints star’s England recall
- 11:59 John Lennon letter to The Queen valued at £60,000 in Liverpool
- 11:57 Manchester United player Henrikh Mkhitaryan was humiliated by Jose...
- 11:56 Former Chancellor Kenneth Clarke MP gives his views to the Herald
- 11:56 Housing and jobs bonanza for Wigan
- 11:56 Asylum seekers receive help in South Yorkshire on how to adjust to...