Tobacco giants return to court in battle against new plain-packaging rules
Tobacco giants return to court today in their battle against the Government's new plain- packaging rules.
They suffered what anti-smoking campaigners described as a ''crushing defeat'' at the High Court in May.
The day before new regulations come into force, a judge in London declared that they were ''valid and lawful in all respects''.
Mr Justice Green rejected a judicial review action brought against Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
The judge declared: "There is no basis upon which I could or should strike down the regulations or prevent them coming into effect tomorrow.''
Philip Morris... read more
- 02:36 Elderly care fund ‘is just a ruse’ say MPs
- 02:28 Companies cheer Trump tax cuts, but jobs are less certain to follow
- 02:19 Rachel Reeves: Bank fees pile on the pain to those least able to cope
- 02:14 Uber driver charged with raping California woman in car
- 02:08 French intelligence says Assad forces carried out sarin attack
- 02:08 China flags global naval role after new carrier launch
- 01:59 Test may spot glaucoma before symptoms begin, study says
- 01:58 Review secret Orgreave files to ensure 'no cover-ups',...
- 01:58 Government accounts 'should detail spending to show value for money'
- 01:58 Politicians 'working in the dark' over scrutiny of conflict and...
- 01:46 Baywatch babe: Justin Bieber's ex Chantel Jeffries channels Pamela...
- 01:46 'I was struggling with myself too much': Caitlyn Jenner regrets not...
- 01:46 Futuristic flair! Rita Ora dons metallic silver coat over bright...
- 01:46 Red hot! Pregnant Beyonce accentuates bump in sultry crimson gown...
- 01:46 Ellie Goulding puts on a leggy display in a sexy semi-sheer mini...
- 01:41 V&A museum plans to revive design skills
- 01:39 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Thursday
- 01:35 Tesla hikes pay to quell unrest at key German supplier
- 01:35 Samsung Electronics says first-quarter operating profit up 48...
- 01:33 Government accounts 'need to prove value for money'
- 01:31 The Mother of All Bombs: How badly did it hurt IS in Afghanistan?
- 01:29 'She's an attention-seeker!' Chloe Sims continues to vent fury over...
- 01:29 'It was an "us or them" situation': Spice Girls talent show to find...
- 01:28 Celebrating our community
- 01:27 Concerns raised over students' unions' anti-Israel stance
- 01:27 Uganda's Punishment Island: 'I was left to die on an island for...
- 01:26 Samsung Electronics sees stronger earnings from chips, phones after...
- 01:25 Wives wanted in the Faroe Islands
- 01:19 YP Comment: Confident May attacks Corbyn - PM on course for...
- 01:18 Postpartum haemorrhage: Cheap lifesaver 'cuts deaths by a third'