Tobacco giants return to court in battle against new plain-packaging rules
Tobacco giants return to court today in their battle against the Government's new plain- packaging rules.
They suffered what anti-smoking campaigners described as a ''crushing defeat'' at the High Court in May.
The day before new regulations come into force, a judge in London declared that they were ''valid and lawful in all respects''.
Mr Justice Green rejected a judicial review action brought against Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
The judge declared: "There is no basis upon which I could or should strike down the regulations or prevent them coming into effect tomorrow.''
Philip Morris... read more
- 13:39 Cumbrian 'sexual predator' who abused children for 40 years is...
- 13:39 These names will be the most popular for babies in 2017
- 13:39 Rail bosses unveil £3m investment at train station
- 13:39 Village 'shocked' after shotgun blast leaves man in hospital
- 13:39 Mourners lined the street as 31-year-old scaffolder's coffin...
- 13:37 The vibrating smart umbrella that connects to your phone to warn...
- 13:37 Good news for M1 and M62 commuters in West Yorkshire
- 13:36 Unpaid benefits at record level
- 13:36 Andy Robertson says it is 'clear' Hull City need to make signings...
- 13:36 Poundworld phone chargers recalled over fire risk
- 13:33 Jurgen Klopp ‘angry’ at the thought of Liverpool losing to West Ham
- 13:33 Antonio Conte asked about those Alexis Sanchez to Chelsea rumours –...
- 13:33 Transfer Fee Comparison: Man Utd spent nearly three times as much...
- 13:32 Celebrity minder Ricky Hayden death: Man denies murder
- 13:31 Revealed: Harrogate Christmas shop window winners for 2016
- 13:31 Good news for M1 and M62 commuters in West Yorkshire
- 13:31 Review: Incredible success of 2016 Nidderdale Messiah
- 13:30 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte discusses January transfer plans
- 13:30 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho...
- 13:29 Extremely relatable squirrel gets stuck in a manhole cover thanks...
- 13:29 Maersk, Hyundai Merchant Marine alliance talks in doubt
- 13:29 Plans for Indian restaurant to be built on former site of popular...
- 13:29 South Yorkshire torture brothers granted lifelong anonymity
- 13:29 Manchester United new signings rated: Eric Bailly shining for Jose...
- 13:29 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp warns West Ham his side will be...
- 13:29 Bomb disposal team to carry out explosion in Walney
- 13:28 Tamworth Herald tracks down 'love lock' couple from Hockley
- 13:28 Arsenal star Alex Iwobi reveals Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez guidance
- 13:28 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte hails Diego Costa: He shows huge passion
- 13:26 Rainford schools honoured at education awards