Tobacco giants return to court in battle against new plain-packaging rules
Tobacco giants return to court today in their battle against the Government's new plain- packaging rules.
They suffered what anti-smoking campaigners described as a ''crushing defeat'' at the High Court in May.
The day before new regulations come into force, a judge in London declared that they were ''valid and lawful in all respects''.
Mr Justice Green rejected a judicial review action brought against Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
The judge declared: "There is no basis upon which I could or should strike down the regulations or prevent them coming into effect tomorrow.''
Philip Morris... read more
- 15:03 Deal struck to gain Devil’s Toenail
- 15:01 Missing man last seen in Mansfield
- 14:59 Milnthorpe OAP had indecent photos of children
- 14:59 Driver faces sentence in June over M55 tragedy in which van driver...
- 15:00 Pupils have buried a time capsule in the grounds of Gainsborough’s...
- 14:59 OAP stole £36k from golf club
- 14:59 Couple branded monsters for killing French nanny over bizarre...
- 14:59 Arsenal news: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang delivers verdict on Unai Emery
- 14:58 Go with the flow: United Utilities' leak-finding sniffer dogs and...
- 14:58 Vibrant law firm one of fastest growing in North-West
- 14:57 'It can’t be true': Parma return to Serie A after three straight...
- 14:57 Trump pulls out of North Korea summit
- 14:56 Boys, 15, guilty of Columbine-style school shooting plot
- 14:56 OAP stole £36k from golf club
- 14:56 Society set for scenic spectacular
- 14:56 Donald Trump cancels historic summit with North Korean leader...
- 14:56 Camilla Parker Bowles reveals the Royal Family were worried over...
- 14:55 Champions League final: Liverpool stars snapped boarding plane to Kiev
- 14:55 TV Highlight AND TRAILER: Sir Anthony Hopkins is King Lear
- 14:54 Couple branded monsters for killing French nanny over bizarre...
- 14:54 Children had more chances under Thatcher than Sturgeon, claim
- 14:54 Louts drinking and climbing on roof at former school site
- 14:54 A proud day for Boulmer as base celebrates Freedom of the City
- 14:53 'Bad trip': air force members guarding nuclear missiles took LSD,...
- 14:53 Court finds Spain's ruling party benefited from bribery scheme
- 14:53 'I love you Mum': more tributes paid on day four of Grenfell inquiry
- 14:52 Vibrant law firm one of fastest growing in North-West
- 14:52 TV Choice AND TRAILER: Five of the best shows this week
- 14:52 Special rail summit planned after 'dreadful' performance of Northern
- 14:52 Motorists take care to avoid family of geese walking Barrow's streets