Toad numbers fall by two-thirds in 30 years
The common toad is in decline across much of the UK and needs better protection, say conservationists.
Data from toad patrols - volunteers who move toads across busy roads - shows the toad population has fallen by more than two-thirds since the 1980s.
Once common in the British countryside, the amphibian is now on the brink of qualifying for protection as a vulnerable species, a study suggests.
Factors in its loss include urban sprawl and habitat fragmentation.
Silviu Petrovan, from the UK charity Froglife, said the information came from Toads on Roads - volunteer patrols established in the... read more
- 08:22 HK stocks hit 2-wk low on Italian "no" vote, muted response to...
- 08:21 BMW workers remotely lock stolen car – with the thief still inside it
- 08:20 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:20 Bells will be ringing out for Christmas...
- 08:20 WATCH: Sneak preview of Last Tango in Halifax Christmas special
- 08:19 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists his side do not have an...
- 08:18 Penarth neighbours create 'living' advent calendar
- 08:18 Barrow 'superstar' brothers up for festive prize in Christmas Star...
- 08:18 Storm Desmond - what happened
- 08:18 Early Christmas present for Barrow teenage girl with cerebral palsy...
- 08:18 Pledge to stop elderly patients leaving Barrow hospital in the dark
- 08:18 Choking Ulverston barman made to wait 50 minutes for an ambulance
- 08:17 RBS settles three claims over 2008 fund raising
- 08:16 Drivers warned to beware on icy North East roads
- 08:15 McDonald’s worker installed spy camera in the women’s toilets
- 08:15 British tour company worker stabbed to death in Finland
- 08:15 Fiver campaigner seeks bank of England meeting
- 08:14 UK health firm Cambian to sell adult services unit for 377 mln stg
- 08:13 Lancaster antiques centre expands after popular furniture dealer...
- 08:13 Alexis Sanchez is now convinced his best position is as a striker,...
- 08:13 Proposed boundary changes divide local Labour parties
- 08:13 ‘My dream job’ - Teen spends a day working on Blue Peter
- 08:13 Tributes to David Jack, 78, who had Lions club 'running through him...
- 08:13 One lane closed after accident on M6 Northbound (Junctions 36-37)
- 08:13 Engineers of the future from Lancaster Royal Grammar School win...
- 08:10 WWE TLC results: AJ Styles splits tights but beats Dean Ambrose to...
- 08:09 Can you stay away if your workplace is too cold?
- 08:08 Floral tributes left where teenager was killed in Telford crash
- 08:07 18 things that happen on your first day as an elf at Santa’s workshop
- 08:07 Free Christmas dinner for the hungry and the homeless in Burton...