To sustain hope while preserving honesty is the challenge in treating cancer patients
“You know I am going to beat this.”
“No, you aren’t,” I think despondently.
“With a positive attitude and determination,” he adds.
“Then you’d be the first,” I silently retort.
A successful retired engineer, he is one of those who don’t fall ill until catastrophe strikes.
He had gone to the doctor feeling vaguely unwell and inherited a cancer diagnosis, and with it, an endless series of investigations. For a while, his surgeon sat on the fence – although the primary abdominal cancer was technically operable he had a hunch that the tiny, indeterminate nodules on the lung represented... read more
- 00:55 Hawkshead Brewery founders take top accolade at Cumbria Life Food...
- 00:51 Rosa Parks house: Dispute threatens bitter end to homecoming
- 00:51 Former Rangers star Bilel Mohsni admits punch-up wrecked his career...
- 00:51 Australia fight back on day one of third Test against South Africa...
- 00:51 Who is John Bolton, Trump's new national security adviser?
- 00:37 80 years of The Beano marked at “The McMenace” in Dundee
- 00:34 Sudoku 4015 hard
- 00:33 Tottenham target Ryan Sessegnon must not have development rushed,...
- 00:28 Plastic patch in Pacific Ocean growing rapidly, study shows
- 00:26 Gareth Southgate reveals ‘disgusting’ racial abuse of young players
- 00:26 New Zealand v England: first Test, day two – live!
- 00:25 Tony Benn defends Galloway to party
- 00:22 Baselworld: Swiss watchmakers smarten up their act
- 00:22 Virtual reality as sharp as the human eye can see?
- 00:22 Grant of £31,000 set to boost young artists
- 00:22 Israel warns Iran over nuclear ambitions
- 00:22 What do we know about Austin bomber Mark Anthony Conditt?
- 00:20 Rise in cancers 'caused by weight'
- 00:20 Rangers eyeing summer move for Louis Moult after his Preston struggles
- 00:20 New Zealand vs England, first Test LIVE scorecard, day 2: Get the...
- 00:20 Usain Bolt trains with Borussia Dortmund as sprint king continues...
- 00:18 New MS drug could slow symptoms of 'untreatable' form of disease
- 00:18 Donald Trump ‘tried to pay Playboy model after he cheated on...
- 00:15 Tottenham urged to sign PSG star in order to win Premier League title
- 00:15 Gareth Southgate and Aidy Boothroyd agree to protect Fulham ace...
- 00:14 Tyler Perry reveals what it was like to nearly lose $20,000 to...
- 00:13 Financial ombudsman to review complaints
- 00:13 Call for longer Heathrow night flight ban
- 00:07 Carlisle cocaine courier jailed after car stopped on M6
- 00:07 More than 700,000 people in West Midlands now have a pension...