To curb deaths from disasters, end poverty - U.N. chief
BARCELONA (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Ending extreme poverty is essential to save lives and limit damage from disasters, U.N. chief Ban Ki-Moon said, as figures revealed poorer nations bear the brunt of deaths from earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, storms and heat waves.
An analysis of more than 7,000 disasters over the past two decades, in which 1.35 million people died, showed 90 percent of those deaths occurred in low and middle-income countries. Ban called it "a damning indictment of inequality".
The impoverished Caribbean nation of Haiti, which suffered a devastating... read more
- 09:13 Updated: 18-year-old stabbing victim discharged from hospital
- 09:13 Town centre stabbing victim dies
- 09:13 Paul Merson delivers his prediction for Arsenal v Leicester
- 09:13 No way through! Which of the Premier League’s top seven have the...
- 09:13 Real Madrid happy to sell star to Man Utd or Chelsea because of...
- 09:13 £5m prize fund launched to help de-stress ‘stifled’ SMEs
- 09:13 Waxwork honour for Corrie’s Kym
- 09:12 Attackers said ‘we are so sorry’ then threw acid in lecturer’s face
- 09:12 Tortoise somehow gets stuck in gap between two houses
- 09:11 Holly and Phil stunned as Hollyoaks’ Kieron Richardson reveals he...
- 09:11 Burton and South Derbyshire runners complete the Virgin Money...
- 09:10 Doncaster to remember the fallen with King's Own Yorkshire Light...
- 09:10 Eating aged cheeses like cheddar and brie might help you live longer
- 09:10 Cassini spacecraft snaps a shot of Earth between Saturn's rings in...
- 09:09 HALLEY'S COMET SPECTACLE: Fireballs to light up night sky
- 09:09 HARLEQUIN INVASION: Smelly STD-riddled ladybirds from Asia are COMING
- 09:09 Country & Coast: Garden watch gives meagre mammal count of just ten
- 09:09 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 09:08 Aberdeen would have folded against Hibs in the past but we are so...
- 09:08 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 09:08 Stalker is spared from jail after making victim’s life hell
- 09:08 South Shields’ The Word wins four gongs at building awards
- 09:08 Dana White admits he gives Conor McGregor a lot more leeway than...
- 09:08 South Shields ‘run face’ man delighted after marathon effort
- 09:07 Doncaster football legend Kevin Keegan awarded damages after...
- 09:07 Root relishes challenge of aiding Yorkshire’s pursuit of one-day glory
- 09:06 Volunteers urged to help clean up Durham Heritage Coast
- 09:06 Arsenal face competition from four clubs for Alexandre...
- 09:06 Madeleine McCann disappearance: Detectives still pursuing...
- 09:06 Hartlepool United’s new boss is confident: 100%