Times are awful for savers with a best-buy rate at 1%, but the crunch is about to get worse, says SIMON LAMBERT
The past few years have been awful for savers and unfortunately the crunch is about to get worse.
Savings rates that many had hoped just couldn’t go any lower have consistently proved such optimism wrong by sinking further, ever since the summer of 2012.
In August 2012, the best buy easy access account paid 3.2%; today it pays just 1%.
That line in the sand four years ago is significant because that was when the Funding for Lending scheme was launched, pumping cheap money through to banks and building societies and killing demand for savers’ cash.
A month after that, the best easy access... read more
- 09:49 Liverpool transfer news: Nabil Fekir quizzed on failed Anfield switch
- 09:48 STV chiefs under fire after snubbing Holyrood appearance
- 09:48 Northants councils shake-up: Consultation ‘a farce’
- 09:48 Woman who revealed names of two sex offence victims on social media...
- 09:47 Oz thug rock: the sound of 'complete disregard for authority'
- 09:47 Inside Jean-Michel Basquiat’s teen years: 'He was hitting on...
- 09:47 Capital’s Sigma extends Countryside deal
- 09:47 Lord Hague joins call for cannabis reform in wake of epilepsy...
- 09:47 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:47 Air Ambulance called to Preston garage after 'car falls on man'
- 09:47 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:45 Burglary at York farm shop: Police release CCTV image of suspect
- 09:45 Union back on picket line as train strike hits Wigan
- 09:45 Cash stolen after thieves break into neighbouring shops in Corby
- 09:44 Booze-fuelled school-run mum narrowly escapes prison sentence after...
- 09:44 Teenage boy stabbed outside Sheffield pub
- 09:44 Chelsea transfer news: Sven Goran Eriksson reveals Roman Abramovich...
- 09:43 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:42 OPINION: Kane world class as England dig deep in adversity to win...
- 09:42 Accident reported on A38 at Claymills - updates
- 09:42 Rugby man kept searching and downloading indecent images of...
- 09:41 Caravan camp appears on Stray in Harrogate
- 09:41 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:41 The headteacher column with Kris Henderson
- 09:41 Police bosses warn Brexit failure could hit fight against crime
- 09:41 Royal Ascot dress code, weather forecast, race times and when is...
- 09:40 Cash stolen after thieves break into neighbouring shops in Corby
- 09:40 Royal Border Bridge turning blue to mark NHS’s 70th birthday
- 09:38 Championship transfers: PSG want Middlesbrough man | Leeds bid...
- 09:38 Hartlepool United linked with swoop for non-league hotshot