Tim Dowling: our oldest son is moving out and my wife has gone on strike
I am in a taxi, creeping along the snowy streets of Acton in the dark, heading home after some time away. I left early to stay ahead of the weather, and it has finally caught up with me.
“Just here is good,” I say, indicating a place where it will be easy for the driver to turn around. He opens his boot and hands me my bags, which I drape over both shoulders.
At our front gate, I meet the oldest one, similarly draped in luggage: a duvet in a plastic case in one hand, a bedside light in the other, with a heavy-looking bag hanging off one arm.
“Is that my taxi?” he asks, trying to raise an... read more
- 01:01 House of Lords fails to represent much of UK, pressure group says
- 01:01 David Dimbleby to step down as chair of BBC's Question Time
- 00:57 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:53 Paramedics in Liverpool to go on strike today in pay dispute
- 00:53 Door closed on devolution deal, Mundell tells the SNP
- 00:53 Forces need £20bn to face Russia
- 00:51 Guatemala ends search for volcano victims with 200 still missing
- 00:51 Eight arrested after violence at Manchester cycling event
- 00:49 Barrow exhibition to celebrate 70 years of the NHS
- 00:47 'The day I was diagnosed was the worst of my life'
- 00:48 Brooks Koepka makes history in holding off Fleetwood to retain US...
- 00:47 Inside Tunisia's Shams Rad - the Arab world's 'only gay radio station'
- 00:47 The untold good news story of America today
- 00:47 Griffin: Unfair that Question Time was filmed in 'ethnically...
- 00:46 Technical college for ‘coldspot’ Doncaster wins go-ahead
- 00:42 BREAKING: Major 5.9 magnitude earthquake STRIKES Osaka region of Japan
- 00:41 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:40 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:38 Eurydice Dixon: memorial to murdered comedian vandalised
- 00:38 State of emergency declared in Papua New Guinea after riots
- 00:38 Iván Duque wins election to become Colombia's president
- 00:38 More rail strikes to hit this week
- 00:35 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:31 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:30 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:27 UK makes Windrush Day official with £500k grant to support events
- 00:26 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:26 Sudoku 4089 easy
- 00:18 Brooks Koepka wins back-to-back US Open titles - reactions
- 00:15 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...