Three-parent baby technique now used to help FERTILITY: Two infertile women to give birth in Ukraine after controversial gene-editing operation
Two infertile women will give birth in Ukraine after using a revolutionary technique that combines the genes of three parents, a report reveals.
The controversial technique was designed to prevent families passing on genetic mutations, not to aid fertility.
However, the New Scientist reported on Monday that two women have used the procedure to bypass fertility issues.
Both patients are married women who been undergoing IVF when they went into 'embryo arrest' - meaning the cells suddenly and inexplicably stopped growing half-way through the process.
One mother-to-be is 20 weeks pregnant... read more
- 11:52 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:51 Politics could derail Reston Station project
- 11:51 Banbury United FC ground sold as part of merger for Brackley...
- 11:51 Revealed: The reasons why Coventry City owners Sisu were granted...
- 11:50 When will 'weather bomb' Storm Brian hit Burton and South Derbyshire?
- 11:49 ‘Nonsense’ to merge Kenilworth and south Coventry to make new...
- 11:49 Crown court date for motorbike thief
- 11:49 Stunning Orionid meteor shower arrives tonight - here's the best...
- 11:49 Athletics: East Kilbride kids inspired after visit from Team GB...
- 11:49 Top class ballet on the big screen
- 11:49 Stirling Albion look to bounce back from Scottish Cup shocker with...
- 11:49 Kobe Steel uncovers more evidence of quality mistakes
- 11:49 Construction begins on Ripley hospital blood test extension
- 11:49 QUICK QUIZ: This week in questions...
- 11:49 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:48 QUICK QUIZ: This week in questions...
- 11:48 Officers searching for missing Leeds man
- 11:48 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:48 'Bored' 16-year-old picked up by police at 2am driving sister's car
- 11:47 Factory worker cheated death after being CRUSHED by giant cable drum
- 11:47 Gran Turismo Sport: reviews, car list and release
- 11:47 Neal Preston: Exhilarated and exhausted
- 11:47 The best face oils for autumn
- 11:46 ‘I did all this for the old folk’
- 11:46 Stargazers - get ready for the 'most beautiful' Orionid meteor...
- 11:46 Tweed Forum calls for input
- 11:46 Storm Brian: Weather Bomb set to cause miserable weekend for Yorkshire
- 11:45 Colne Town Council's spook-tacular Halloween
- 11:45 "Hot-head" charged after racist rant at police
- 11:45 Law firm's inaugural charity ball smashes fundraising target