Three-parent baby technique now used to help FERTILITY: Two infertile women to give birth in Ukraine after controversial gene-editing operation
Two infertile women will give birth in Ukraine after using a revolutionary technique that combines the genes of three parents, a report reveals.
The controversial technique was designed to prevent families passing on genetic mutations, not to aid fertility.
However, the New Scientist reported on Monday that two women have used the procedure to bypass fertility issues.
Both patients are married women who been undergoing IVF when they went into 'embryo arrest' - meaning the cells suddenly and inexplicably stopped growing half-way through the process.
One mother-to-be is 20 weeks pregnant... read more
- 13:09 HOW I MADE IT: Alister de Ternant
- 13:09 EasyJet shares plunge as weaker pound and rising fuel prices weigh...
- 13:09 YP Letters: Stop sneering, give President Trump a fair chance
- 13:06 15 well-paid, interesting and rewarding jobs in the West Midlands...
- 13:06 Birmingham City transfers: Watford join hunt for Swedish...
- 13:06 Heroin and cocaine seized in undercover police operation in South...
- 13:06 WWE superstar Brock Lesnar tipped to make shock return to UFC
- 13:06 Crystal Palace to complete signing of Premier League star this week
- 13:06 Morecambe Carnival bids for Red Arrows
- 13:05 Berwick team of ’67 are honoured at club’s 50th anniversary dinner
- 13:05 Harrow and Embleton top NN League tables
- 13:04 What have Barbie's boyfriend, One Direction and Strictly Come...
- 13:04 Letters - January 19, 2017
- 13:04 WATCH: Council apologises after road sweeper video goes viral
- 13:04 Teenager tells jury she had nightmares after allegedly being raped...
- 13:04 England scrum-half Ben Youngs backing Six Nations glory to support...
- 13:03 'Another poor signing!' How Birmingham City fans reacted to Diego...
- 13:03 Kings of Leon release EXTRA tickets for Birmingham concert - and...
- 13:03 These are the Birmingham branches HSBC plans to close
- 13:02 Is showering every day BAD for you? Cleaning with soap too often...
- 13:02 Update your iPhone software NOW: iOS 10.2.1 fixes 'devastating'...
- 13:02 Gruesome Roman skeleton is found with his tongue RIPPED out and...
- 13:02 Taylor hits late winner for Town
- 13:02 Beattie claims a creditable third place in his European outing
- 13:01 £2,000 bill after dead rats found in Halesowen pub cellar
- 13:01 Inquest opens on Ellie Underhill after Tesco car fall death
- 13:01 EasyJet shares tumble after £35m knock to finances
- 13:01 Dudley man in court over Winson Green prison riot
- 13:01 Search for suggestions to help save iconic Wolves church
- 13:01 Popular pub eyed up as new stop for Wolverhampton cabbies