Thousands registered with GPs despite having died or moved, figures suggest
Hundreds of thousands of patients in England are registered with a GP despite having died, moved or left the country, new figures suggest.
Data from NHS Digital shows that the number of patients registered with GPs in England increased from 57.2 million in September 2015 to 57.3 million in March 2016.
But population estimates for 2016 are just 54.3 million, based on data from the 2011 Census.
The difference means GPs are being paid for potentially up to three million patients who no longer need their services.
NHS Digital's report said: " This discrepancy is known as 'list inflation'... read more
- 07:33 North Kirklees weekend entertainment listings
- 07:33 Cold callers, self-service checkouts and hand-wash only clothes -...
- 07:32 Toshiba's nuclear woes a hot ticket for bankruptcy financiers
- 07:32 TV, stage and film stars revealed for 2017 Festival No.6 lineup
- 07:32 West Brom news digest: Roy's boys; Foster's goodwill; Jose's...
- 07:32 Aston Villa news digest: Bruce's best player (it's a Blues man);...
- 07:32 Insurer Lloyd's of London confirms new Brussels base
- 07:32 Birmingham City news digest: Fabbrini on leaving; value of St...
- 07:32 Nikkei falls on pause in weak yen trend; chip-equipment makers firm
- 07:31 North Korea ‘could kill 90 per cent of Americans’ US intelligence...
- 07:31 BREAKING: Bomb squad seal off Malmo street over grenade fears
- 07:27 H&M Q1 profit tops forecast, to launch new brand in H2
- 07:27 Man shares multiple engagement photos to prove we don’t pay...
- 07:27 North Carolina 'bathroom' law: Deal reached on repeal
- 07:26 North Kirklees weekend entertainment listings
- 07:26 Cardiff uni study looks at coffee cup fee to cut single use
- 07:25 Live rush hour traffic, travel and news updates for Hull and East...
- 07:25 Tragedy of Dee Eskrett the nursery nurse who fell into drugs and...
- 07:25 Cars damaged in wrecking spree
- 07:24 Live: Drugs raids across Merseyside
- 07:23 PAULA SHERRIFF MP COLUMN: ‘Cuts to education are an appalling...
- 07:22 EU pulls plug on LSE’s merger with Deutsche Borse
- 07:22 Drivers could face £70 fine for parking on pavements
- 07:22 Man arrested on suspicion of drink-driving after colliding with...
- 07:22 50 Sheffield homes hit by power cut
- 07:21 Six ways to lower your fuel consumption
- 07:21 Breaking news, travel and weather updates around Notts on Thursday,...
- 07:19 1MDB has cleared 3 billion ringgit in debts, says Malaysian PM
- 07:19 Mum and daughter join up with Scunthorpe United to beat prostate...
- 07:19 Ivan Toney wants to keep scoring streak going for Scunthorpe until...