Thousands of daffodils and bluebells being planted to 'save spring blooms'
Gardeners are planting thousands of daffodils and bluebell bulbs in efforts to help save native spring blooms.
Some 25,000 native and heritage bulbs are being planted at English Heritage gardens, including Queen Victoria's former home Osborne House.
The flowers are under threat from hybrids and non-native species such as the Spanish bluebell.
English Heritage wants people to join in by planting a native daffodil or bluebell bulb in their own gardens.
These can be collected for free from various English Heritage sites.
John Watkins, head of gardens and landscapes at English Heritage, said... read more
- 09:44 Britain's economy growth RISES amid Brexit to hit 0.3% in Q2
- 09:40 See UB40 stars return to the Red Red Wine Eagle & Tun pub
- 09:41 UK economy grows by 0.3%
- 09:41 Two in hospital with head injuries after motorcycle crash in Newcastle
- 09:40 Solihull Summer Fest - what's the line up and can you still get...
- 09:40 Review, setlist, reaction to Ali Campbell's UB40 at Barclaycard Arena
- 09:40 New Birmingham Airport flights scrapped before they begin
- 09:39 What are Skinny Sprinkles and do they work for losing weight?
- 09:39 Is drinking cow's milk 'inhumane'?
- 09:39 Dundee United challenge excites Scott McDonald
- 09:39 £900-worth of roofing felt stolen from West Cumbrian school
- 09:39 Manchester United stars poke fun at youngster in training ahead of...
- 09:38 Piers Morgan in ferocious CLASH with Love Island stars after GMB...
- 09:37 Search planned for missing Powys teenager at Royal Welsh Show
- 09:37 Robert Pattinson was kicked out of school for selling porn magazines
- 09:36 Safety expert plunged to his death down lift shaft, inquest told
- 09:35 Dr G Yunupingu: An exquisite singer who 'spoke to the soul'
- 09:35 UK diesel and petrol ban - Government's shock new plans and how it...
- 09:35 More than 1,800 homes missed bin collections yesterday - these are...
- 09:34 Celtic skipper Scott Brown insists Moussa Dembele can only get...
- 09:33 Scientists hope fish clues aid spinal cord injury treatment
- 09:32 Guy Martin calls time on road racing career
- 09:31 Divorcee destroys ex's $1m violin collection in Japan
- 09:30 BMW stolen from outside home
- 09:30 Fred Story funds new dig at Roman finds site in Carlisle
- 09:28 Pervert who abused young boy allowed to serve his 'lenient' sentence
- 09:28 Transfer News LIVE: Follow the latest news and gossip from around...
- 09:27 Arsenal showing genuine interest in £36m Nice star Jean-Michael Seri
- 09:26 New bid demands more trains between Lincolnshire and London
- 09:25 Police chief Philip Seccombe confident on residents' safety despite...