Thousands of daffodils and bluebells being planted to 'save spring blooms'
Gardeners are planting thousands of daffodils and bluebell bulbs in efforts to help save native spring blooms.
Some 25,000 native and heritage bulbs are being planted at English Heritage gardens, including Queen Victoria's former home Osborne House.
The flowers are under threat from hybrids and non-native species such as the Spanish bluebell.
English Heritage wants people to join in by planting a native daffodil or bluebell bulb in their own gardens.
These can be collected for free from various English Heritage sites.
John Watkins, head of gardens and landscapes at English Heritage, said... read more
- 09:53 VIDEO: Monster Raving Loony Party leader Howling Laud Hope talks to...
- 09:53 Help save lives – give blood at Grantham sessions
- 09:53 Arrest after 3am 999 caller threatens to enter sea
- 09:53 More trains will stop at Morpeth
- 09:52 Give way to cyclists when turning, says British Cycling
- 09:51 BYPY committee and awards date revealed
- 09:51 More strikes at Topshop depot in Solihull
- 09:50 Risking Beijing's ire, Vietnam begins dredging on South China Sea reef
- 09:50 Brazilian footballer takes first steps after plane crash that...
- 09:48 Son of Mackworth man Geoff Seggie due in court today charged with...
- 09:48 Government to respond in Brexit Supreme Court case
- 09:47 Marks confident Town can recover
- 09:47 Boss Page praises ‘unbelievable’ attitude of Cobblers players ahead...
- 09:46 Convenience of a new bar at Sheffield Town Hall site
- 09:46 Crashes cause delays on South Yorkshire motorway
- 09:46 Olympic athlete and Sheffield charity celebrate young people’s...
- 09:46 The rise of a former Victorian bakery: A dozen flats for sale on...
- 09:46 Tom Hughes not concerned by Scunthorpe RUFC's losing streak
- 09:45 Heartbreaking picture of boy, 7, attacked by bullies as he posted...
- 09:45 Anthony Joshua v Eric Molina: Undercard, start time, TV details and...
- 09:44 Ohio passes bill making abortion illegal as soon as heartbeat is heard
- 09:44 British holiday jet diverted after bomb squad finds suspicious...
- 09:42 Crews tackle fire at commercial building in Bispham
- 09:42 Midwife units see one in four mums transferred by ambulance to...
- 09:42 Sign up now for Colour Dash 2017
- 09:41 Beef scheme tagging kits on their way after delays
- 09:41 One lane closed on Southbound M61 due to accident
- 09:41 43 footballers facing a probe over 'tax dodge': Players set to be...
- 09:41 Sunderland defender Paddy McNair gives a thumbs up from his...
- 09:41 Trump picks climate sceptic Pruitt environment chief