Thousands of children 'missing' from education
More than 30,000 children were missing from schools in England and Wales for substantial periods of time in the 2014-15 academic year, local education authority figures show.
Of these, almost 4,000 children could not be traced by the authorities.
The National Children's Bureau said some may be at "serious risk" of abuse and exploitation, including forced marriage, FGM and radicalisation.
The Department for Education said it had issued "new guidance" to schools.
Ofsted has previously raised concerns that some missing children could be hidden away in unregistered, illegal... read more
- 19:13 Plane toilet arsonist on Sharm el-Sheikh flight has sentence doubled
- 19:12 How Manchester United players celebrated winning the Europa League
- 19:10 'Better get a gun' 50 Cent takes shot at Anthony Joshua in vicious...
- 19:10 Halewood takeaway burnt down in suspected arson attack
- 19:10 Ernesto Valverde Athletic Bilbao exit set to influence Liverpool...
- 19:10 Judge to scrambler bike yob: 'You could have ruined lives for ever...
- 19:08 Counter-terror police raid second house in Wigan
- 19:08 At least 105 civilians killed by single US bomb in Iraq
- 19:07 Juan Mata endorses Manchester United’s move for Antoine Griezmann
- 19:05 Man charged with historical sex offences in part of child abuse...
- 19:05 Lincoln, united – city’s communities to gather to show support for...
- 19:05 Hefty fine for council after man cut fingers in lawnmower at school
- 19:05 40 jobs created as new Lidl opens in St Ann's
- 19:03 When does Big Brother start? Channel 5 start date, lineup rumours...
- 19:01 Salman Abedi called his mother to say ‘forgive me’ hours before...
- 18:59 Anglian Water: ‘Keep cool and carry on - using water wisely’
- 18:58 Liverpool Transfer News: Major update over winger deal, Jurgen...
- 18:58 Dani Alves is helping Arsenal as they eye FA Cup glory against...
- 18:58 Heavy police presence in Cleethorpes as families enjoy the sunshine
- 18:56 I like to move it, move it! Adorable lemurs nibble on grapes as...
- 18:55 Abseil down Hull Minster to see stunning building in a whole new light
- 18:55 Amazing murals adding colour to Beverley Road in Hull
- 18:53 North East in mourning as worst fears are confirmed for Manchester...
- 18:53 Masked robbers jailed for hammer raid at Rugby store
- 18:52 Aston Villa flop Yacouba Sylla could soon be back in the Premier...
- 18:52 Police seize and CRUSH £200k Ferrari belonging to millionaire rogue...
- 18:52 E3 2017: Red Dead Redemption 2 expo news as Take-Two talk 2017 plans
- 18:52 Nazi Hermann Goering's cigar box sells for £3,200
- 18:51 Hamas executes three Palestinians over killing says ordered by Israel
- 18:49 Walkers Crisps Gary Lineker campaign suffers Twitter sabotage