Thousands lose holidays as Lufthansa pilots begin two-day strike
The walkout affects short-haul flights departing across Germany today, forcing Lufthansa to cancel 816 out of around 3,000 planned flights.
The pilots have also announced plans to strike on short- and long-haul flights tomorrow.
Lufthansa has offered to increase the pilots' pay by 4.4 percent in two instalments and make a one-off payment worth 1.8 months' pay.
Union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) wants an average annual pay rise of 3.7 percent for 5,400 pilots over a five-year period backdated to 2012.
VC rejected the latest pay offer from Lufthansa late on Friday and has also rebuffed a bid... read more
- 12:18 General election emoji App launched
- 12:18 Election round-up: National campaigning returns
- 12:17 Enjoy the nice weather - there's a yellow warning for rain for...
- 12:17 Heavy showers set to give way to sun for the bank holiday weekend...
- 12:17 Leamington bar owner: ‘I’ve changed my name to Batman in council...
- 12:17 Chin chin! It's bottoms up as The Crossing in Burton hosts second...
- 12:16 Ford wins Town Bowl for a second time
- 12:16 Increased police presence at Showground event
- 12:16 Premier League key dates 2017/18: When does the season start? When...
- 12:15 Greater Manchester Police warn of fraudulent online fundraising pages
- 12:15 Cold callers top poll of what drives people mad
- 12:14 Star man reveals all on Chelsea snub: I'm glad I rejected Antonio...
- 12:14 Arsenal v Chelsea LIVE: FA Cup final build-up and team news ahead...
- 12:14 Claude Makelele makes amazing N'Golo Kante gesture: This should be...
- 12:14 Saints seeking vital victory against Stade
- 12:13 BREAKING NEWS: Two men held on suspicion of murder after fatal...
- 12:13 Happy Birthday Belsay as hall celebrates its 200th anniversary
- 12:13 Manchester terror attacks: How long can police keep Nuneaton man in...
- 12:12 Police evacuate Royal Mail sorting office in Brighton
- 12:12 What's on during May half-term in and around Chester
- 12:12 Five things to do this half term without spending a penny
- 12:12 VIDEO: Hundreds turn out to Buxton candle vigil for Manchester victims
- 12:12 Germany vaccination: Fines plan as measles cases rise
- 12:11 Update on condition of mum seriously injured in Belper crash
- 12:11 Two West Yorkshire teenagers reported missing on Monday are found...
- 12:11 China's Dahua Tech plans up to $1 billion Hong Kong share sale:...
- 12:10 Third move as firm detects further growth
- 12:10 Cold callers top poll of what drives people mad
- 12:10 IPads 'help improve young pupils' skills'
- 12:10 Subtitling systems contain 'widespread' security threat