Thousands lose holidays as Lufthansa pilots begin two-day strike
The walkout affects short-haul flights departing across Germany today, forcing Lufthansa to cancel 816 out of around 3,000 planned flights.
The pilots have also announced plans to strike on short- and long-haul flights tomorrow.
Lufthansa has offered to increase the pilots' pay by 4.4 percent in two instalments and make a one-off payment worth 1.8 months' pay.
Union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) wants an average annual pay rise of 3.7 percent for 5,400 pilots over a five-year period backdated to 2012.
VC rejected the latest pay offer from Lufthansa late on Friday and has also rebuffed a bid... read more
- 17:36 Jail for transgender beautician who assaulted police constable
- 17:36 Special forces need to face scrutiny from parliament, say MPs
- 17:35 Cheltenham Festival victim nearly blinded after being picked on for...
- 17:34 Liverpool vs Roma LIVE: Updates, goals and reaction from Champions...
- 17:34 Liverpool fans will LOVE what Luis Garcia has said about squad...
- 17:34 Anthony Joshua reveals he speaks to Wladimir Klitschko DAILY for...
- 17:34 Transfer News LIVE updates: Huge Salah claim, Man Utd deal close,...
- 17:34 Vile conditions at London pizza place with dead mice on kitchen floor
- 17:34 Sunderland chief gives big update on future of club: Takeover is...
- 17:34 Drugs worth £200,000 seized in Kettering
- 17:32 Frank Skinner: 'Johnny Cash started me on the rocky road to...
- 17:32 Five teenagers arrested after man attacked in Kirkby
- 17:32 Supreme court upholds teenager's 241-year prison term
- 17:31 Lincolnshire Police reveals upsurge in assualts on officers
- 17:30 You will get banned from Facebook for posting about these six...
- 17:29 Police confirm death of a woman in west Cumbria
- 17:27 Lesley Laird launches bid to be Scottish Labour deputy leader
- 17:26 ‘Disrespectful’...rubbish fly-tipped across graves in Wakefield...
- 17:26 Avicii warned management he 'was going to die' amid pressure to do...
- 17:26 Metro Bank founder Vernon Hill sees off shareholder revolt
- 17:25 Burton Albion showed Derby County performance wasn't a one-off -...
- 17:25 Two holiday venues fly the flag for Northumberland
- 17:25 This was the last runner to finish the London Marathon this year
- 17:23 Wasps: Kyle Eastmond could face Northampton Saints, Joe Simpson may...
- 17:21 Ilkeston engineering firm celebrate multi-million pound gas contract
- 17:20 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp backed to complete goalkeeper deal
- 17:18 Stollers £3m clearance marks the final stage of refurb
- 17:18 Residents in Dalton bemoan 'horrendous' parking situation
- 17:18 'Beyond belief': Brexit app for EU nationals won't work on iPhones
- 17:18 L'Enclume food award win is fantastic news for Cartmel, says...