Thomas Cook profits down in tough year
Thomas Cook's profits have fallen after a tough year for the tourism industry, with trading affected by terror attacks in Europe and political instability in Turkey.
The travel company said pre-tax profits fell to £42m from £50m last year.
It said the fall in demand for holidays in Turkey had been offset by the rise in popularity of other destinations.
Chief executive Peter Fankhauser told the BBC: "We are pleased with what we have achieved."
"We have had to follow the demand of our customers, who are choosing to go to the Spanish islands and mainland."
Questioned about... read more
- 16:23 Morecambe pub has licence suspended following drugs investigation
- 16:22 Stunning historic steam loco pays Lincoln flying visit
- 16:22 Parents can register for £2,000 Tax-Free Childcare Scheme from...
- 16:22 Why the hunt is on for the messiest bedroom in Coventry
- 16:22 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:20 Dear Reader: We need real affordable housing + my spell in A&E
- 16:19 Cable theft in Bardney
- 16:19 WIN! Family ticket to Gulliver’s Easter Extravaganza
- 16:19 Cost of finding temporary accommodation for homeless people going down
- 16:19 Nominate a first aid hero
- 16:19 Family of murdered Pc Keith Palmer pay tribute to ‘wonderful dad...
- 16:18 Nominate a first aid hero
- 16:18 Man accused of arson after flat fire in Huddersfield
- 16:18 Overnight services at three North East urgent care centres to...
- 16:17 Beamish Museum searching for visionary to create 1950s world and...
- 16:17 Star Wars news: Han Solo spin-off character detail LEAKED by Woody...
- 16:17 Destiny 2 release date LEAK reveals PC launch and Bungie beta news...
- 16:17 Support is there for those who need it this Mother's Day
- 16:17 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Chapel St Leonards pupils support Red Nose Day
- 16:16 Philippines' Duterte derides U.S. for past inaction in South China Sea
- 16:16 The poor get poorer in Germany, too, draft government report shows
- 16:16 Sturgeon has ‘confidence’ in Cunningham amid terror row
- 16:15 Pamela Anderson 'STORMED OFF' Celebrity Juice set after Keith Lemon...
- 16:15 Comment: Is this Government intervention in all but name
- 16:15 Eden contestants leave wilderness after a year to find show hasn't...
- 16:15 Viviane Sassen's Kenyan Souvenirs
- 16:15 Martin Margiela: Looking back on the Hermes years
- 16:15 Khalid Masood named as Islamic terrorist behind Westminster attack
- 16:15 ‘Most wanted’ Morecambe arsonist jailed for seven years
- 16:14 Fruit-shaped sensor 'can improve freshness'