Thomas Cook evacuates 570 holidaymakers from Cuba as Hurricane Matthew flattens homes
Thomas Cook successfully evacuated hundreds of holidaymakers in Cuba after Hurricane Matthew ripped through the island with devastating effect.
The British operator transferred 570 guests to Cayo Coco - a tropical island in the Jardines del Rey chain - after Holguin airport in the east was closed.
The fierce storm raged through Cuba on Tuesday, with torrential rain and category-four winds (130-156mph) destroying dozens of homes in Cuba's easternmost city, Baracoa.
With the hurricane now travelling north towards the Bahamas and Florida, Thomas Cook says it is doing all it can to keep... read more
- 08:01 Have your say on the state of Derbyshire’s roads
- 08:01 RISE AND SHINE: Latest travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:01 Kirklees Council to commemorate mass killing
- 08:01 Pound to euro exchange rate: Sterling climbs BACK after Theresa...
- 08:00 Mohamed Salah: First snaps of the new Liverpool signing with his...
- 08:00 RISE AND SHINE: Latest travel news, weather and fun features
- 07:59 Swansong concert for Kinder Children’s Choir’s stalwart musical...
- 07:59 Blyth gran trapped in Greek hospital after quad bike crash could be...
- 07:59 Man in Sheffield hospital with serious injuries after pub brawl
- 07:59 Live: Breaking news and travel from Coventry, Warwickshire and...
- 07:58 Aston Villa and John Terry: A comprehensive look at the story so...
- 07:58 Toshiba estimates bigger loss for past year on Westinghouse, lawsuits
- 07:58 Italy - Factors to watch on June 23
- 07:58 South African parliament opposes calls to change central bank mandate
- 07:57 13 Premier League players who could miss the start of the season...
- 07:57 RISE AND SHINE: Latest travel news, weather and fun features
- 07:56 East Neuk’s De Profundis digs deep to celebrate the mining heritage...
- 07:56 Kylian Mbappe to Arsenal: Exodus to help fund move with striker...
- 07:56 Terminally ill South Shore woman dies after dream wedding
- 07:56 Man left with serious injuries after alleged assault at Staveley pub
- 07:56 RISE AND SHINE: Latest travel news, weather and fun features
- 07:55 Watchdog clamps down on online gambling
- 07:55 Pupils scoop silver at Gardener’s World
- 07:55 Radio station to host hospice charity’s business club
- 07:55 Martin Flanagan: Chancellor tries to ease Brexit concerns
- 07:53 Germans' purchasing power grows at slowest pace in more than three...
- 07:53 Video: Johnny Depp jokes about Donald Trump assassination
- 07:53 Tiemoue Bakayoko to Chelsea: Details include five-year deal and...
- 07:53 Safety concerns as Carlisle road cracks in heat
- 07:52 Tamworth FC: Time running out for early-bird offer