Thomas Cook evacuates 570 holidaymakers from Cuba as Hurricane Matthew flattens homes
Thomas Cook successfully evacuated hundreds of holidaymakers in Cuba after Hurricane Matthew ripped through the island with devastating effect.
The British operator transferred 570 guests to Cayo Coco - a tropical island in the Jardines del Rey chain - after Holguin airport in the east was closed.
The fierce storm raged through Cuba on Tuesday, with torrential rain and category-four winds (130-156mph) destroying dozens of homes in Cuba's easternmost city, Baracoa.
With the hurricane now travelling north towards the Bahamas and Florida, Thomas Cook says it is doing all it can to keep... read more
- 15:43 Worksop chef’s catering firm derailed after boozy collision
- 15:43 Demolition of inn marks end of an era for Ribble Valley
- 15:43 Northampton Town boost hardship fund to help wider football ‘family’
- 15:42 Mark Robins has these words of comfort for his mis-firing Coventry...
- 15:42 Steve rises to challenge in heart-warming mission
- 15:41 Meet Lauren Baker, the artist who quit her job because a dream told...
- 15:41 Leicester caretaker Michael Appleton believes Craig Shakespeare's...
- 15:41 Cyclist's Cardiff route makes face on Strava app map
- 15:41 Manchester United academy chief Nicky Butt slams clubs for how...
- 15:40 Goldman Sachs chief Lloyd Blankfein hints at Frankfurt move
- 15:40 Worksop chef’s catering firm derailed after boozy collision
- 15:40 Man Utd news: Peter Schmeichel defends Jose Mourinho amid Antonio...
- 15:40 'We're just trying to make a living - don't tar us with sinking...
- 15:39 Disgust as group of men at side of road seen pointing laser pens...
- 15:39 Mansfield soldier demoted after drink drive conviction
- 15:38 Jail for burglar who targeted Blackpool hotels
- 15:38 Carlisle budget to be revisited after 'garden tax' scrapped
- 15:38 A marathon effort for hospice and club
- 15:37 Wayne Rooney and THAT goal against Arsenal FC
- 15:37 West Midlands Police have this message for Birmingham City fans...
- 15:37 New Church of Scientology to open in Birmingham this weekend
- 15:37 Gerrard: I'm impressed by Ben Woodburn
- 15:37 Gary Rowett pinpoints issue that has put extra pressure on Derby...
- 15:37 George Michael Fantasy: NEW video reminds us why we loved him so...
- 15:37 Alexa Bliss will defend her WWE titel against Mickie James
- 15:37 University of Sussex student bottled in alleged racist attack
- 15:36 Strongman to pull TWO 44 tonne lorries in audacious world record...
- 15:36 Manchester United determined to beat Real Madrid to Umaro Embalo
- 15:35 ‘Sense of family’ praised at Cleveleys school by inspectors
- 15:35 School closes as taps run dry