This is why bins won't be emptied once every three weeks in Wirral
Wirral Council is set to clash with the Government over the threat of bin collections being reduced to once every THREE weeks.
Six councils across the country have made the shift to one-week-in-three pick-ups, including Wigan, Salford, Rochdale, Oldham and Bury.
But Councillor Phill Brightmore, Wirral’s cabinet member for the environment, said Wirral would continue with fortnightly collections.
The council faces pressure from the Government to reach its target of recycling 50% of all waste by 2020 but Wirral’s Labour group has hit out at the same ministers for slashing funding to the local... read more
- 12:03 Brooklyn Beckham set ‘to become the Spice Girls’ official reunion...
- 12:02 Award for improving Parkinson’s care
- 12:02 KFC restaurants in Northampton forced to close as stores run out of...
- 12:02 Hipperholme pupil makes a splash as she clinches gold and meets...
- 12:02 Snap happy shoppers in with chance of winning spending spree
- 12:02 Warwickshire Freemasons support new maternity unit at Warwick Hospital
- 12:02 Did you see Danny Rose’s AMAZING message to Ryan Mason against...
- 12:02 Lewis Hamilton reveals insight into training schedule ahead of...
- 12:01 Paedophile Falder jailed for 32 years
- 12:01 Peter Rabbit among Beatrix Potter characters to star on new coins
- 12:01 Cash to help gardeners club
- 12:01 Chelsea frustrate Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi like no other side
- 12:01 In pictures: Handsworth v Burntwood RUFC
- 12:01 Lichfield City FC beaten 4-2 by Atherstone Town
- 12:01 Teen blackmails teacher into handing over £10k after 'inappropriate...
- 12:01 Got any old-style £10 notes? This is when they cease to be legal...
- 12:00 Elderly victim turns crimefighter to catch fraudsters in police sting
- 12:00 Sergio Aguero heads out with his old man as Manchester City striker...
- 12:00 In pictures: Seven stunning Scottish castles for sale
- 12:00 KFC closures across Preston - latest
- 12:00 Irvine Welsh: ‘I had a criminal record aged 8’
- 11:59 Leeds United memories: Whatever happened to... striker Rob Hulse?
- 11:59 Council partnership yields jobs in Burnley
- 11:58 What not to expect from Philip Hammond Spring statement
- 11:58 Call to bring forward vote on cutting Commons to 600 MPs
- 11:58 Burglars target Sheffield street
- 11:58 Iceland's mooted circumcision ban sparks religious outrage
- 11:57 Matthew Falder who forced teen to rape boy, 4, and girl to eat dog...
- 11:57 Unilever releases details of its entire palm oil supply chain
- 11:56 Hygiene ratings: Wigan’s One-Star rated eateries Nov 2017 to Jan 2018