Third typhoon of the month hits Taiwan, 32 injured
Strong wind and rain lashed Taiwan on Tuesday as the third typhoon to hit the island this month made landfall, injuring more than 30 people, ripping signs off buildings and knocking down trees.
Most schools and offices were shut and the north-south bullet train suspended services as Typhoon Megi, packing winds of well over 160 kph (100 mph), roared in from the Pacific and hit eastern Taiwan.
At least 32 people were injured and more than 5,300 evacuated, the government's Central Emergency Operation Center said, while more than 950,000 households had lost power, according to the main power... read more
- 16:11 Sam Ricketts backs Russell Slade to steer Coventry City clear of...
- 16:11 Chelsea want Karim Benzema: Real Madrid striker is No.1 target to...
- 16:11 Kenedy hits back at Flamengo claims after Diego Costa’s comment on...
- 16:10 Manchester United's run of televised FA Cup games moves onto 56...
- 16:10 GCHQ seeks teenage girls to join cyber security fight
- 16:10 Barcelona legend Rivaldo hangs out with Lionel Messi, Neymar and...
- 16:10 Football child abuse scandal: Number of claims tops 1,000
- 16:09 Berwick set to mark the 50th anniversary of ‘greatest day’
- 16:09 Proof needed of taxi drivers’ right to work
- 16:09 Abandoned vehicle causing delays on M1
- 16:08 Stocks, dollar steady after Trump-led dip
- 16:08 Israel deploys "Star Wars" missile killer system
- 16:07 West Bridgford house once home to a Dambusters hero on sale for...
- 16:07 Delays to tram services after incident in The Meadows
- 16:07 15 year jail sentence forSt Ann's who raped child
- 16:07 City pub will soon be home to Nottingham's only vintage analogue...
- 16:07 Man United benefited from Christian Benteke's FA Cup double -...
- 16:07 This is what the law says on what to do if somebody parks outside...
- 16:06 Coton Green boss Masefield's delight as Green Army hit six
- 16:06 Coleshill Town fans are enjoying a 'feast of football'
- 16:06 Leamington park improvement works to start next week
- 16:06 Troon boss warns his team of relegation battle ahead of visit of...
- 16:05 Controversial plans for Moresby Parks houses given green light
- 16:05 Wrexham AFC striker Izale McLeod delighted to open his Dragons account
- 16:04 Lindley clock tower to be illuminated 115 years after it was built
- 16:04 Abandoned vehicle causing delays on M1
- 16:03 Naked female cleaners wanted to clean houses in Warwickshire...
- 16:03 Horncastle Town Council defends 20.42 per cent hike in tax bills
- 16:03 Ulverston Town Council gears up to bring in 20mph zone
- 16:03 Rhyl FC announce new young signing...and this one's only three days...