Think cigarette sales keep local corner shops open? Retailers say tiny tobacco profits are a burden
Tobacco sales are not vital to keeping small corner shops afloat, and might actually be harming their profit margins, researchers claim.
A report being presented to parliament today says small shop owners make only small profits from tobacco sales, and many feel they have too much cash tied up in the expensive products.
Newcastle shopkeeper John McClurey joined anti-smoking campaigners in Parliament at today’s launch.
John said he hoped to demolish the myth that cigarette sales are vital to keeping small local businesses afloat.
He said: “I have little choice other than to sell tobacco as... read more
- 14:07 Karen completes charity challenge to swim length of English Channel...
- 14:07 Get a FREE Domino's pizza this weekend with this simple trick
- 14:07 CCTV camera near scene of St Ann's knife attack had been removed...
- 14:06 Duo travel back in time to take on a 120-mile canal stroll!
- 14:06 Morecambe singer’s charity to use power of music
- 14:06 Tesco to cut petrol and diesel prices by 2p ahead of Mother’s Day
- 14:06 Falcons’ feathers will boost BAE jets
- 14:05 Grimsby Town boss Bignot on latest links to Lambs favourite
- 14:05 Polesworth man takes on epic journey across country for Herald...
- 14:04 Deadline for voter registration is near for Deepings and Bourne
- 14:04 New survey on youth mental health services in Lincolnshire
- 14:04 New team to prevent employee shortages
- 14:04 Apprentices dig in to help Northumberland schools
- 14:04 Warwick school pupils’ have hi-tech way to answer questions in...
- 14:04 Senior Cup Final to be staged at St James’ Park
- 14:04 New-look Costcutter store opens in Kirton
- 14:04 Free tuition in Scotland to be extended for EU students, Swinney says
- 14:03 Chester Bach Singers celebrate arrival of spring in anniversary...
- 14:03 In the courts of Lincolnshire...
- 14:03 Syston property in incredible location has come up for auction -...
- 14:02 Manchester United under Jose Mourinho have taken transfer business...
- 14:02 Chance to be champions before Celtic can drive East Kilbride to...
- 14:02 Parked vehicles are ruining landmark site - Horncastle residents
- 14:02 Luis Suarez was 'very close' to joining Arsenal after £40,000,001...
- 14:02 Manchester United legend Eric Cantona rips into John Stones: 'He...
- 14:02 Gianluigi Buffon made his debut 22 years ago against an INCREDIBLE...
- 14:02 Join in the Comic Relief madness
- 14:01 Councillor points hairdryer at cars to deter speeding drivers
- 14:01 Wife of 39 years fails in divorce refusal appeal
- 14:00 Can you help get notes in the right order?