Think cigarette sales keep local corner shops open? Retailers say tiny tobacco profits are a burden
Tobacco sales are not vital to keeping small corner shops afloat, and might actually be harming their profit margins, researchers claim.
A report being presented to parliament today says small shop owners make only small profits from tobacco sales, and many feel they have too much cash tied up in the expensive products.
Newcastle shopkeeper John McClurey joined anti-smoking campaigners in Parliament at today’s launch.
John said he hoped to demolish the myth that cigarette sales are vital to keeping small local businesses afloat.
He said: “I have little choice other than to sell tobacco as... read more
- 13:36 These are the top 10 Volkwagen GTI models of all time
- 13:35 Movies and TRAILER: Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep on The Post
- 13:35 WATCH: All your Preston North End questions answered in our Q&A
- 13:35 H&M hires a diversity leader following the whole ‘racist’ monkey...
- 13:34 Jack Rodwell exit would lift Sunderland fans’ perpetual Blue Mondays
- 13:34 Leeds news: Samuel Saiz donates £25,000 as club reach Toby Nye...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd: Arsenal star SAVAGED by legend ahead of...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez on brink of Man Utd move as shop prints No 7 shirts
- 13:34 What to do with your old £1 coins so you don't end up out of pocket
- 13:34 Seven million cars generate the same greenhouse gases as our...
- 13:34 Barnstorming laughs promised from rising comedy stars
- 13:34 From Nashville to Venice - enjoy musical contrasts
- 13:34 Masked thugs wielding crowbars attempt to rob cash-in-transit guard
- 13:32 Dylan Farrow claims Woody Allen sexual abuse claims are 'credible'
- 13:32 EastEnders spoilers: Tamzin Outhwaite talks Mel Owen’s exit as she...
- 13:31 Rutland County Council proposes 4.99 per cent council tax rise
- 13:30 Bride fears wedding is ruined after reception venue Park Hill Golf...
- 13:29 Most Americans think Trump’s first year was officially one...
- 13:29 UPDATED: IT system glitches prove costly for EMIS
- 13:29 Decision to implement new GP contract after strong backing from the...
- 13:29 Ceremony will mark milestone for Leeds cancer centre plans
- 13:28 Sir Tom Courtenay given freedom of city of Hull
- 13:28 District council leader answers questions on authority’s new HQ...
- 13:28 Margaret Thatcher set to lose out in Parliament Square statue battle
- 13:27 Turpin case: Parents of captive children due in court
- 13:26 Used car buyers offered new car-style low monthly payments as RAC...
- 13:26 Storm Fionn sparks flood warnings and there’s more snow on the way
- 13:25 Police hunt A590 robbers who tried to steal jewellery from a couple...
- 13:23 Ribbleton man's ultra marathon challenge for Hooves for Healing
- 13:22 Mesut Ozil set to snub Manchester United by signing new...