These burrowing bees really rock! New species discovered which chews through STONE to make itself a home
Scientists have discovered a new species of bee which makes its home by chewing its way through solid rock to create burrows in sandstone cliffs.
The new species, called Anthophora pueblo, was first spotted around 40 years ago in the arid deserts of the south-western US, but after finding a number of new nest sites entomologists have now identified it as a new species to science.
The hardy bees chew through rock with their mandibles to create a hidey-hole, but this has raised questions as to why they go to such lengths to set up home.
Burrowing into rock costs the bees vital energy and... read more
- 13:05 Harrow and Embleton top NN League tables
- 13:04 What have Barbie's boyfriend, One Direction and Strictly Come...
- 13:04 Letters - January 19, 2017
- 13:04 WATCH: Council apologises after road sweeper video goes viral
- 13:04 Teenager tells jury she had nightmares after allegedly being raped...
- 13:04 England scrum-half Ben Youngs backing Six Nations glory to support...
- 13:03 'Another poor signing!' How Birmingham City fans reacted to Diego...
- 13:03 Kings of Leon release EXTRA tickets for Birmingham concert - and...
- 13:03 These are the Birmingham branches HSBC plans to close
- 13:02 Is showering every day BAD for you? Cleaning with soap too often...
- 13:02 Update your iPhone software NOW: iOS 10.2.1 fixes 'devastating'...
- 13:02 Gruesome Roman skeleton is found with his tongue RIPPED out and...
- 13:02 Taylor hits late winner for Town
- 13:02 Beattie claims a creditable third place in his European outing
- 13:01 £2,000 bill after dead rats found in Halesowen pub cellar
- 13:01 Inquest opens on Ellie Underhill after Tesco car fall death
- 13:01 EasyJet shares tumble after £35m knock to finances
- 13:01 Dudley man in court over Winson Green prison riot
- 13:01 Search for suggestions to help save iconic Wolves church
- 13:01 Popular pub eyed up as new stop for Wolverhampton cabbies
- 13:00 HSBC to close 62 more branches this year
- 13:00 FTSE 100 rises as sterling slides
- 13:00 Manchester United set to create 300 new places for disabled fans in...
- 12:59 HSBC to close 62 branches: Is YOUR local bank to shut?
- 12:59 Review of maternity and neonatal services in Scotland
- 12:58 Ulverston ice-cream firm tells of benefits after scooping contest...
- 12:58 Three South Yorkshire Police officers disciplined after man dies in...
- 12:58 'Cannibal' prisoners 'feast on human flesh of fellow inmate' cooked...
- 12:58 MP launches fair to boost skills in resort
- 12:58 Deadline looms for expo