Theresa May will use speech to reposition Tories on 'the new centre ground'
Denouncing Jeremy Corbyn's Labour for a "sanctimonious pretence of moral superiority", Mrs May will state her intention for the Tories to usurp its traditional position as the party of "ordinary working-class people", the NHS and public servants.
But she will also distance herself from the small-state politics of earlier Tory leaders like Margaret Thatcher by insisting that government can be "a force for good", providing benefits for society that individuals, communities and the market cannot.
Concluding a four-day conference in Birmingham which has been... read more
- 15:52 Families told to evacuate flats as building 'could collapse'
- 15:52 ‘Be Water Aware’ is the message as temperatures rise
- 15:51 Young Harborough artists invited to enter recycling art competition
- 15:51 Antonio Conte hints at FA Cup start for Emerson after impressing...
- 15:50 Tesco is selling cans of passion fruit martinis
- 15:51 Amber Rudd boasted of harsher immigration strategy, leak reveals
- 15:50 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn: Why Patrick Vieira should NOT...
- 15:50 Kirkby couple sentenced for bus shelter sex session
- 15:48 Daniel Craig’s own Aston Martin to go under the hammer
- 15:48 Town poll to be held asking Whitby residents: 'Do you want to leave...
- 15:48 A64 in Yorkshire closed after 10ft concrete blocks fall onto the road
- 15:48 Sir Alex Ferguson insists he is 'proud to have been a rival,...
- 15:48 Banned dangerous driver hit car in Mansfield
- 15:48 ‘Be Water Aware’ is the message as temperatures rise
- 15:47 Kirkby couple sentenced for bus shelter sex session
- 15:47 Meet the schoolgirl filmmaker and her canine camera star
- 15:47 Coppull author to read Reu The Rainbow Gnu in support of Reuben's...
- 15:46 ‘Be Water Aware’ is the message as temperatures rise
- 15:45 Thomasina Miers’ recipe for lentils with pancetta, goat’s curd and...
- 15:45 Cocktail of the week: Martello Hall's Little red door
- 15:45 Shop in town goes single-use plastic free
- 15:44 Arsene Wenger quits Arsenal: Who joins Thierry Henry in his best...
- 15:44 Arsenal expected XI: Arsene Wenger to go 4-3-3 against West Ham for...
- 15:44 PIERS MORGAN: I'm glad Wenger's going, but I'm also glad I can...
- 15:44 Chelsea expected XI: Who will make Antonio Conte’s 3-4-3 for FA Cup...
- 15:44 US court sentences former Liberian warlord to 30 years
- 15:44 Last Damascus rebels bombarded as Assad presses advantage in Syria
- 15:44 Bristol hospital vows to improve training after death of teenager
- 15:43 Last days of Preston's former indoor market caught on camera
- 15:42 Doncaster Apprentice star returns to TV to tell of store's success...