Theresa May says Article 50 will be triggered by the end of March
Britain will trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to begin the formal process of leaving the European Union before the end of March 2017, Prime Minister Theresa May has said.
The prime minster is today expected to introduce a Great Repeal Act that will remove the 1972 European Communities Act from the statute book.
This will then kickstart the process of ending the country’s EU membership.
Addressing the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham for the first time as leader, Mrs May will announce that she will pass legislation to move EU law onto the UK statute book when Brexit happens.
- 17:17 Thomas Gainsborough to be commemorated by £8.5m centre
- 17:16 Award-winning youth theatre moves into Neston town centre
- 17:16 EastEnders spoilers: Brannings involved in CATASTROPHIC Christmas...
- 17:15 'There is no hiding place for people like you,' council leader...
- 17:15 Google confirms it will extend ‘digital bus tour’ in Yorkshire
- 17:14 Andy Murray & Novak Djokovic make life hard but they face battle to...
- 17:13 Dawn Butler: Austerity 'hits ethnic minority women hardest'
- 17:12 India Willoughby speaks out as part of Anti-Bullying Week
- 17:10 Buses in Sheffield diverted from normal routes due to vandalism
- 17:10 Sheffield College chief leaves just two years into role
- 17:08 Birmingham City boss Steve Cotterill on what David Davis is really...
- 17:08 11 guilty of violent disorder in pub after Burton Albion match
- 17:08 Google confirms it will extend ‘digital bus tour’ in Yorkshire
- 17:07 Sheffield College chief leaves just two years into role
- 17:06 Coventry City's Kwame Thomas loaned out to non-league Solihull Moors
- 17:06 Jose Mourinho’s No.1 January transfer target Carlos Soler responds...
- 17:05 How ‘returnships’ could help women in science and engineering get...
- 17:03 Why buying gift cards could be a waste of money
- 17:02 UPDATE: Driver has serious injuries after Desborough A6 crash
- 17:01 Video: Fire at Horncastle scrap yard
- 17:01 Buses in Sheffield diverted from normal routes due to vandalism
- 17:00 Doncaster pit village plans miners' statue tribute
- 17:00 Brrrr It's going to stay chilly this weekend in Burton and South...
- 17:00 Ram raider gangs crash diggers into 40 store ATMs in 18 months
- 17:00 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Debbie McGee drops BOMBSHELL about...
- 17:00 Northumberland County Council's firm Arch to be dissolved and...
- 17:00 Google confirms it will extend ‘digital bus tour’ in Yorkshire
- 16:59 Google confirms it will extend ‘digital bus tour’ in Yorkshire
- 16:58 'We've got to make it happen': Fergie talks about staying friends...
- 16:58 Busty Bianca Gascoigne SIZZLES as she slips into a perilously...