Theresa May's cynical mockery of the decent liberal values I treasure is outrageous
Many's the time I’ve stated in this column that I’m not a political animal and that, if pressed, I admit to being powerfully wishy-washy, a through-and-through centrist.
You might reckon I’m just playing safe. It’s hard to take exception, isn’t it, to someone whose views are exclusively moderate? In truth, I suspect and fear extremes.
Politicians have fought for the moderate vote throughout the last couple of decades. Tony Blair cunningly occupied the centre ground to win his landslide election in 1997. Following the hapless Gordon Brown, centrist Tory David Cameron reoccupied that middle... read more
- 06:19 Friction between Man Utd ace Paul Pogba and Jose Mourinho is normal...
- 06:16 Conor McGregor talks up Nate Diaz trilogy fight before KO’ing Floyd...
- 06:16 Man Utd news: Paul Pogba needs to be more like Man City star Kevin...
- 06:16 Fantasy Premier League tips: In-form Fantasy Football players ahead...
- 06:16 Harry Kane: Tottenham ‘turn down’ £177m Real Madrid bid
- 06:16 Liverpool news: Mohamed Salah reveals secret to incredible form
- 06:16 River Island hires child models with disabilities for their...
- 06:15 Islamic State 'Beatles': US and UK talk about fate of duo
- 06:13 Banks must lead banishing of anti-business sentiments
- 06:13 New bus masterplan aims to keep Leeds on the move
- 06:13 Theresa May refuses calls to give transport bosses in North same...
- 06:11 Don’t miss out on chance to have your say on keeping Hartlepool safe
- 06:11 Motorist caught by police while under the influence of drugs
- 06:11 Retirement age for police power station workers to be reviewed
- 06:11 MP calls for services to be brought back to Hartlepool’s hospital
- 06:11 People from Hartlepool in court for charges including theft and...
- 06:11 Hartlepool has one of the highest rates in the North East for...
- 06:09 Karate kids kick off season in style
- 06:09 Playwright aims to tell story of pioneering female footballer
- 06:09 Disabled man’s seat sparks safety row at South Shields flats
- 06:09 South Tyneside has region’s lowest rate of secondary school exclusions
- 06:09 New figures show big increase in cyber sex offences against children
- 06:07 Sunderland manager Chris Coleman praises ‘brilliant’ night at...
- 06:06 Roving night shelter set to launch in Wellingborough soon
- 06:06 Rushden chicken farm plans recommended for refusal
- 06:06 Kettering choir’s fundraising efforts help air ambulance
- 06:06 New bus masterplan aims to keep Leeds on the move
- 06:06 Kettering street ‘riddled’ with flies after waste dumped
- 06:05 Roddy Smith: Bidding to be best – how businesses improve the city...
- 06:05 Ilona Amos: Every time you do the laundry you damage the environment