Theresa May in surprise attack on Bank of England's interest rate actions
Theresa May said there had been "bad side effects" from the Bank of England's moves to slash interest rates and shore up the economy since the financial crisis.
In a surprise attack on the Bank's actions, Mrs May said people with assets had "got richer" while those without had suffered and savers had been left "poorer" since interest rates had been cut to historic lows.
The Prime Minister said the time had come for a new approach to support growth.
She said: "While monetary policy - with super-low interest rates and quantitative easing (QE) - provided the... read more
- 11:05 Mum shoplifted from Toys R Us 'to give her girls a proper Christmas'
- 11:05 Controlled explosions carried out on chemicals at Yorkshire schools
- 11:05 Things to do in North Wales this weekend under £15 (January 20-22)
- 11:04 EU antitrust regulators welcome Amazon, Apple audiobook agreement
- 11:04 Controlled explosions carried out on chemicals at Yorkshire schools
- 11:04 Jimi Manuwa to face Corey Anderson at UFC London in March
- 11:04 Arsenal Transfer News: £40m Sanchez contact, done deal, Wenger...
- 11:04 Estate agent in line for prestigious award
- 11:03 Controlled explosions carried out on chemicals at Yorkshire schools
- 11:02 Multi vehicle crash on M1
- 11:02 EU antitrust regulators welcome Amazon, Apple audiobook agreement
- 11:01 Darts: Ross Montgomery happy with Lakeside display despite first...
- 11:01 Badou Jack relinquishes his WBC super-middleweight title to step up...
- 11:01 Paul Pogba's adidas fashion collection almost sells out in a day as...
- 11:01 Is Bob Dylan’s painting taken from a photo of Blackpool’s North Pier?
- 11:01 Ulverston drug dealer and former pub landlady ordered to repay...
- 11:00 Is Bob Dylan’s painting taken from a photo of Blackpool’s North Pier?
- 11:00 Liverpool backed to complete defender transfer in January
- 11:00 Revealed: The best Coventry schools and colleges at A-Level
- 10:59 TRANSFER RUMOURS: Milan want Everton winger, Fonte to West Ham,...
- 10:59 Leeds midfielder transfer hits snag: Garry Monk trying to get it...
- 10:59 Decision to be made on 2,000 home development for ironworks site
- 10:59 Latest updates after M1 is shut due to 'serious collision'
- 10:58 FreeAgent inks accounting software tie-up with RBS
- 10:58 Baggies close in on midfield target
- 10:58 Survey reveals annual fraud and cybercrime figures for first time
- 10:58 Tresham College seeking employers for careers fair next month
- 10:58 Isle of Wight festival line up 2017: Kaiser Chiefs, Texas, The...
- 10:57 Romania in turmoil as protesters march over plans to pardon...
- 10:57 Jaguar Land Rover fined almost £1m after worker crushed