Theresa May in surprise attack on Bank of England's interest rate actions
Theresa May said there had been "bad side effects" from the Bank of England's moves to slash interest rates and shore up the economy since the financial crisis.
In a surprise attack on the Bank's actions, Mrs May said people with assets had "got richer" while those without had suffered and savers had been left "poorer" since interest rates had been cut to historic lows.
The Prime Minister said the time had come for a new approach to support growth.
She said: "While monetary policy - with super-low interest rates and quantitative easing (QE) - provided the... read more
- 07:48 Sun seeking Brits are paying the price for being a nation of...
- 07:47 Suicidal thoughts on rise amongst children
- 07:44 Resurfacing works planned for A153 in Tattershall and Coningsby
- 07:44 Property Insider: Homes you can buy for £50,000 or less
- 07:42 Sun seeking Brits are paying the price for being a nation of...
- 07:41 Rafa Benitez explains why he left out Newcastle’s Aleksandar Mitrovic
- 07:40 Crime round-up from towns and villages in North Lincolnshire
- 07:40 First Class 2017: See pictures of new starters at schools across...
- 07:40 Six of the most haunted places in North Lincolnshire
- 07:39 Resurfacing works planned for A153 in Tattershall and Coningsby
- 07:38 Banbury woman crashes past haters with song recorded by famous...
- 07:36 14 of the best places to get a Sunday roast in Gwynedd
- 07:36 13 of the most haunted hotels in North Wales you can stay the night
- 07:36 Here's how to get tickets for The Killers extra UK arena tour date
- 07:36 Resurfacing works planned for A153 in Tattershall and Coningsby
- 07:35 Harrogate Advertiser archives: 10, 20 and 30 years ago this week
- 07:34 Man handed suspended jail term after telling relative 'no college,...
- 07:32 WEEKEND WEB: Lincolnshire Free Press letters...
- 07:31 FARMING MATTERS: Calls for government to support arable farmers
- 07:31 Explosives experts called to Sellafield
- 07:25 FARMING MATTERS: Calls for government to support arable farmers
- 07:24 MotoGP star Valentino Rossi discusses poor Phillip Island session:...
- 07:24 Mesut Ozil angry at speculation surrounding Arsenal future and...
- 07:23 Worksop chef’s catering firm derailed after boozy collision
- 07:21 Birdwatch: Unmistakable notes of a wintering warbler
- 07:18 North Korea’s battle plan: How Kim could HACK Trump’s defence ships...
- 07:15 New iPhone scam which gives hackers easy access to your details
- 07:13 Manchester United player Eric Bailly return date confirmed
- 07:13 Arsenal left red-faced after virtual reality training makes Arsene...
- 07:11 Harrogate Advertiser archives: Starbeck young carers enjoy visit of...