The Write Stuff: The Black Friar, by SG MacLean
Welcome to our regular feature showcasing the talents of the nation’s best writers. This week, an extract from SG MacLean’s new novel, The Black Friar
In Samuel Kent’s Coffee House on Birchin Lane in the heart of the city, all the talk was of Parliament. Parliament holding out against Cromwell, refusing to recognise his right as Lord Protector, threatening to cut the army, wrest it from
‘But they can’t expect Oliver to give up the army,’ said Samuel, the old soldier who ran the coffee house. ‘He can’t govern without it.’
‘Oliver has no intention of governing without the... read more
- 10:45 Woman suffers life-changing injuries in A45 crash near Wellingborough
- 10:45 BUSINESS DAIRY: Events taking place in the coming weeks
- 10:45 Woodhouse Day Nursery in Woodhouse Eaves was shut down for...
- 10:45 Emmerdale spoiler videos: Debbie Dingle returns as Gabby Thomas...
- 10:44 Madonna says White House comments 'taken out of context'
- 10:44 LISTEN to the heroic 999 call from a Telford toddler which helped...
- 10:44 EMERGING MARKETS-Fading dollar lifts emerging stocks, currencies
- 10:44 Trump White House to brief media amid 'alternative facts' row
- 10:43 Unsettled weather later in the week
- 10:42 Kelechi Iheanacho's dad gives update on striker's Man City future
- 10:42 These stunning images give an aerial tour across Merseyside
- 10:42 Brownlee brothers named among UK's most influential people.
- 10:42 Burning your toast could increase cancer risk, experts say
- 10:41 China cracks down on unauthorized internet connections
- 10:41 Six points and £200 - tough new penalty for mobile use behind the...
- 10:41 Image released of man in connection with theft in Northampton of...
- 10:40 Man blinded by chef with chilli powder after complaining about...
- 10:40 What it’s like to talk to your GP about your mental health
- 10:39 Shkodran Mustafi looking to continue impressive unbeaten run at...
- 10:39 One lane closed on M61
- 10:39 Algeria need a minor miracle in order to progress to the knockout...
- 10:39 Billy’s delight at his internet success
- 10:39 The dental nurse who became an alligator catcher
- 10:39 Charity offers trio of opportunities to make a difference for...
- 10:39 South Korea ministry apologises over artists' blacklist
- 10:38 Civic Society column by David Winpenny
- 10:38 Bettys enjoys its best Christmas sales growth as demand soars
- 10:38 Can YOU spot the subtle differences between these pictures? Quiz...
- 10:38 Appeal for volunteers to support one of Ripon's most loved cycling...
- 10:38 Can YOU see the hidden messages in these logos? Take the test to...