The wonder of Whitstable: Country walks, succulent seafood and brisk sea breezes on a gem of the Kent coastline
There are now so many DFLs (people Down From London) in Whitstable that the moniker is redundant. Most have chosen to stay put and enjoy the much better life.
After all, this pretty working seaside town, ranged along the beach, with the Isle of Sheppey across the water and the rusting WWII Maunsell Sea Forts on the horizon, is an idyllic spot - and it's only 70 minutes on the train from St Pancras.
Swim at lunchtime in summer, picnic on the beach, cycle along the long stretches of marshland on a light-filled evening.
Whitstable is also an excellent refuelling stop for cyclists or walkers... read more
- 17:17 Chelsea set to make £8.5m profit on Patrick Bamford despite him...
- 17:17 Chelsea defender Gary Cahill reveals all about his team mates:...
- 17:17 Skipper Wood salutes Saints’ resilience
- 17:17 Rush hour delays after crash on M621 motorway in Leeds
- 17:17 Young woman could have died from drunken fall, inquest told
- 17:17 Man due in court after woman slashed in attack
- 17:16 Live football on TV: What channel is showing Torino vs AC Milan?
- 17:16 The future is bright for Annan Rugby Club after they score a cheque...
- 17:16 Chelsea striker Diego Costa trains alone as team-mates urge...
- 17:16 EXCLUSIVE: Luke Rockhold hits back at Jacare, defends decision to...
- 17:16 Rush hour delays after crash on M621 motorway in Leeds
- 17:15 Spanish police smash ISIS 'caliphate cell' in latest of 181 jihadi...
- 17:15 Dozens rescued off coast of British tourist hotspot in latest...
- 17:15 Daniel’s charity gesture
- 17:15 Theresa May's Brexit plans: What we know so far
- 17:15 Pupils provide a primary audience for drama event
- 17:15 Birmingham City winger Koby Arthur snatches a draw for Blues Under 23s
- 17:15 Jilted bride ties the knot after heartbreak led her to new love
- 17:15 The emotional moment Aston Villa fans chant Graham Taylor's name at...
- 17:14 British mothers drinking during pregnancy put us in worst five...
- 17:14 Liverpool shock: Joel Matip could miss these crucial games as FIFA...
- 17:14 In 2022 we’ll be able to watch an 1,800-year old star collision
- 17:14 Chesterfield hand Ched Evans a one-year contract extension after...
- 17:14 County cricket club pays off £1 million of debt to Northamptonshire...
- 17:14 Sergeant sacked by Northamptonshire Police over sexual relationship...
- 17:14 Disney toys recalled over safety concerns
- 17:13 Channel 4 wants people from Hull for new series of Hunted
- 17:12 Rush hour delays after crash on M621 motorway in Leeds
- 17:12 How long have you got to spend your old Fivers?
- 17:12 Six people injured in A66 crash