The Whiston boys who were buried alive: How the ECHO covered 1981 case
The 1980 murder of Whiston schoolboys John Greenwood and Gary Miller is back in the spotlight – but how did events unfold at the time?
Merseyside Police has re-opened the investigation into their deaths after new evidence emerged, 36 years after the boys were found buried alive on a rubbish tip.
John and Gary were taken to hospital but died a few days later, and post mortems revealed that both boys had died as a result of head injuries.
John Cheeseman, from Prescot, was arrested and charged with the murder of both boys but was found not guilty following a trial at Liverpool Crown Court.... read more
- 09:51 Bitter row dubbed Trousergate breaks out over Theresa May’s trousers
- 09:50 Liverpool legend Dietmar Hamann claims current side isn’t good...
- 09:48 Great places in Derby city centre to stop for coffee or cake while...
- 09:46 Chelsea star Willian: I am delighted Antonio Conte said this about me
- 09:45 West Bridgford residents worried after spate of burglaries
- 09:44 Site manager scoops accolade
- 09:43 Man rescued from bungalow fire in Kirby Muxloe
- 09:43 Catholic church in Manila issues prayer against expanded death penalty
- 09:43 Analysis - After Aleppo, Syria's Assad still far from regaining his...
- 09:43 Five killed in explosion near cathedral in Cairo
- 09:39 An Inspector Calls: Everything is pristine at Hurley House Hotel in...
- 09:39 Go shopping in New York... but pop into Iceland first thanks to...
- 09:39 The peak of luxury: A flying hot-tub, built-in sushi bars and bling...
- 09:37 Children antlers for fundraising reindeer runs
- 09:37 Church-run scheme in Barrow offers to help families struggling with...
- 09:36 Delving into family history
- 09:36 Coldstream art gallery moving to new premises
- 09:29 Max Holloway calls out Jose Aldo after claiming interim UFC...
- 09:29 Manchester United in talks with Premier League rival over January...
- 09:28 AA Gill: Final article describes cancer fight
- 09:27 Nottingham Forest LIVE: Derby County vs Reds live at the iPro Stadium
- 09:27 Crash closes main Nottinghamshire road
- 09:26 Welsh Government property deals net nearly £7m profit since 2007
- 09:25 Beliebers dance with Justin
- 09:24 Man charged following sexual assaults in Burnley
- 09:23 Uber driver clocks up longest ride in history and it only cost £233.88
- 09:21 Ofgem under fire over deal struck with Co-op Energy
- 09:20 BREAKING: Bomb explodes in Egypt by Cairo's Coptic Cathedral, at...
- 09:19 £450k M55 warning sign project completed
- 09:19 The mystique of Mustique: Yes it's gorgeous and glamourous but you...