The ugly truth: Having friends who are less attractive than yourself really CAN make you seem better looking
When it comes to attracting the opposite sex, it appears the company you keep can make all the difference.
A new study has shown the 'ugly friend effect' – where surrounding yourself with people who are less attractive than you can make you appear better looking than you really are – is real.
Researchers discovered that volunteers would rank a person – male or female – as better looking when they were alongside less attractive people than they would be when judged alone.
The findings confirm a long-held belief that having ugly friends can boast your chances of attracting a member of the... read more
- 12:48 Mikael Forssell - a look back at Birmingham City's most 'merciless'...
- 12:48 Why supporters face danger in Rome... Roma ultras run riot in the...
- 12:47 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:47 Windscreen of Flybe passenger jet cracks at 12,000ft minutes after...
- 12:47 Is this the UK's most remote eco-home? Unique 'pod' on the Isle of...
- 12:46 Wembley Stadium set to be sold by FA in astonishing £800m deal as...
- 12:45 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:45 BREAKING: Ulverston Beehive hub approved
- 12:44 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:44 Tristan Thompson grateful ‘there’s someone else people can be angry...
- 12:44 Jodie Marsh’s ex James Placido remarries months after bitter divorce
- 12:43 Deutsche Bank plans 'significant' job cuts
- 12:43 'You can’t just keep saying sorry': readers on Amber Rudd and Windrush
- 12:42 Motorcyclist suffered head and leg injuries in city-centre smash
- 12:42 Man jailed in connection with Underley Hall abuse
- 12:41 Big event in support of Alfie Evans and his family to be held at...
- 12:41 Cheers! It's a Beautiful World for award-winning Leicester pub boss...
- 12:41 Funding bids worth £1.1m are prepared
- 12:40 Lionel Messi wins EU court battle to trademark his own name after...
- 12:40 Sheffield murder victim's funeral to be held next week
- 12:39 Four Seasons app review: a concierge in your pocket
- 12:39 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:39 Facebook accused of bullying by MPs
- 12:37 Thames Valley Police Constable who feigned injury quits
- 12:37 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:37 Two taken to hospital after car flipped over near Old Red Lion in...
- 12:37 Lincolnshire ranked as one of the safest counties in England and Wales
- 12:37 Motorcyclist suffered head and leg injuries in city-centre smash
- 12:36 Observatory marks milestone with the launch of a new facility
- 12:35 Police want to trace this man in connection with meat thefts