The two words I hate most in football
International break – two words that fill me with a sort of low-level despair, writes Gary Silke in his fanzone column.
Two words that no longer get me fired up with jingoistic fervour.
In fact, I'm thinking that our side gate needs new hinges and a coat of paint and it could be a two-day job, so can't be done when Leicester City are playing.
I think I've actually given up on England. The national side's decades of relentless under-achievement (with the exception of Italia 90 and Euro 96 – which were heart-breaking instead) have ground me down to the metal.
Watching them is never enjoyable,... read more
- 14:37 BREAKING: Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to baby boy
- 14:37 Northamptonshire family 'proud' to welcome fifth female generation...
- 14:37 Festival atmosphere promised for Wellingborough beer festival
- 14:36 Science quiz - test your knowledge
- 14:36 Copper piping stolen from barn in Tideswell
- 14:35 Copper piping stolen from barn in Tideswell
- 14:35 Brave Sylvia Hatzer recovers from dementia - after changing her diet
- 14:34 Caught on camera... can you help the police
- 14:34 Perranporth's 'Mr Swan' likely to remain a widower
- 14:34 Police called in after man's body found at Doncaster hospital
- 14:34 Sheffield University urged to be radical to boost women in engineering
- 14:33 Deciding if Salah deserves PFA award ahead of De Bruyne is nigh...
- 14:32 Obam Stairlifts welcomes new team members
- 14:32 Caught on camera... can you help the police
- 14:32 No frills over 40? Why you should ignore age-based fashion rules
- 14:31 Science quiz – test your knowledge
- 14:31 BREAKING: Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to baby boy
- 14:30 How Burton Albion learned lessons from their own late setbacks to...
- 14:28 Wigan man breached his community order
- 14:28 Slow internet speeds affect most of Wigan council premises
- 14:28 BREAKING: Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to baby boy
- 14:28 Victim treated for burns at scene of car fire
- 14:28 Police probe suspected arson attack
- 14:27 Police looking for wanted man with Rugby links
- 14:27 Police called in after man's body found at Doncaster hospital
- 14:26 Final year students offered free advice on preparing for work from...
- 14:26 Plans revealed for Queen Victoria statue in Victoria Square
- 14:26 Growth will be key to housing numbers in Northumberland
- 14:25 SLIDESHOW: Stoke City v Burnley fans' gallery
- 14:25 10 of the best burger joints in Yorkshire