The sub who had a nose job
Barrow-built HMS Osiris, launched in 1962, was an update on the older design of the Porpoise class submarines.
The vessel was laid down in January 1962, launched in November of the same year, and commissioned in January 1964.
Changes were made to strengthen the hull, allowing HMS Osiris to dive longer and deeper than older classes.
Weighing 1,600 tons, the huge boat was powered by two 6,000 horsepower electric motors.
In 1969 the submarine returned to Barrow, its officers being hosted by the mayor of Barrow, JL Jackson.
During her time docked in Barrow, HMS Osiris saw more than 500 people... read more
- 08:12 Pawsecco is here for anyone who prefers drinking with their pet...
- 08:11 Wonder Woman movie reviews: Has Gal Gadot broken the DC critics curse?
- 08:11 The 'Corbyn project' will continue, vows Labour's election...
- 08:11 Looking for summer, temporary or casual jobs? Here's some we found...
- 08:11 Newcastle leaders on 'radicalisation' fears as mosque holds service...
- 08:10 Pep Guardiola is picking his Man City transfer market battles...
- 08:09 BREAKING: Panama dictator Manuel Noriega dies aged 83
- 08:09 Manchester United target Antoine Griezmann can be replaced at...
- 08:09 Andres Iniesta casts doubt over future at Barcelona as he suggests...
- 08:08 North East voters 'trust Labour with NHS', survey shows
- 08:08 Marketing students flying the flag for Whitby Town
- 08:08 Potato growers dig the latest smartphone technology
- 08:08 A rare glimpse into the lost world of Camelot
- 08:07 Police seize nuisance bike from park
- 08:06 French Open 2017: Tim Henman reveals Andy Murray concerns ahead of...
- 08:06 Arsenal transfer news LIVE updates: Perez exit, Wenger told to sign...
- 08:06 8 reasons to visit Poole – including Brownsea Island and Corfe Castle
- 08:06 TOWIE’S Chris Clark reveals reason behind split from Jesy Nelson:...
- 08:05 Hartlepool man’s benefit claim nightmare
- 08:05 Sea Cadets scoop welcome donation
- 08:05 Countdown to Armed Forces Day 2017 to continue with services events
- 08:05 Car bomb outside ice cream shop kills 13 during Ramadan in Baghdad
- 08:05 Dog’s shocking injuries after ‘excessive force’ by airport staff
- 08:04 Leading the way in the new digital age
- 08:04 Walney Wind Farm owners in £1bn deal
- 08:04 Help for firms to cast net in pool of talent
- 08:04 Non-political evening to mark opening of Windermere office
- 08:04 Six Cumbria firms in running for £10k prize revealed
- 08:04 Residents in Cumbrian town fed up with repeated vandalism
- 08:04 Barrow men play key roles in firm pioneering technology