The sub who had a nose job
Barrow-built HMS Osiris, launched in 1962, was an update on the older design of the Porpoise class submarines.
The vessel was laid down in January 1962, launched in November of the same year, and commissioned in January 1964.
Changes were made to strengthen the hull, allowing HMS Osiris to dive longer and deeper than older classes.
Weighing 1,600 tons, the huge boat was powered by two 6,000 horsepower electric motors.
In 1969 the submarine returned to Barrow, its officers being hosted by the mayor of Barrow, JL Jackson.
During her time docked in Barrow, HMS Osiris saw more than 500 people... read more
- 00:58 Italy to seize NGO rescue ships as migrant row deepens
- 00:55 Dr Therese Coffey: Everyone has a part to play to clean up our air
- 00:54 Local groups invited to apply for Bowhill funding
- 00:51 Airbus plans UK job cuts amid fears of hard Brexit impact
- 00:50 Sudoku 4093 hard
- 00:49 Royal Ascot 2018 day four tips: Billesdon Brook can land the...
- 00:47 Dr Therese Coffey: Everyone has a part to play to clean up our air
- 00:41 Misconceptions around mental health are making 1 in 4 delay...
- 00:41 'Dangerous' carbon monoxide alarms removed from Amazon and eBay
- 00:39 Church prepares for visiting choral society's concert
- 00:39 The Yorkshire Post says: Pound for pound. Why park cuts should be a...
- 00:39 The Yorkshire Post says: House out of order. Brexit and Commons reform
- 00:39 Bill Carmichael: Battle for Brexit became rout of rebels
- 00:38 Sturgeon to hold talks with UK government
- 00:35 Slideshow: Birkenshaw Christmas lights
- 00:35 Sharks, Moor and Celtic suffer Conference defeats
- 00:30 Migrant children: Pentagon asked to house migrant minors
- 00:26 Part-privatisation of probation sector 'is a mess', MPs say
- 00:24 The UK's rapid return to city centre living
- 00:18 MPs to investigate 'fast fashion' impact
- 00:18 Probation system 'a mess' despite reforms, say MPs
- 00:17 Are Instagram stars facing a brand backlash?
- 00:12 Church of England makes last-minute approach to abuse survivors
- 00:11 Viewpoint: Why the Kashmir government fall is a tragedy
- 00:10 BREAKING: Eurozone nations agree to end Greece austerity with debt...
- 00:06 Quebec City mosque shooter 'not a monster' say parents
- 00:06 Chelsea reportedly agree £31m deal to sign Juventus centre-back...
- 00:05 House of Fraser rescue plan faces vote
- 23:50 Sanderson delighted as 'fantastic day' puts Northants on brink of...
- 23:37 US banks pass financial stress tests