The story of town’s successful benefactor
0 Have your say Morpeth Rotary Club
Rotarian Simon Foley is a trustee of the Hunter Memorial Homes Trust in Morpeth and was able to give the club a short history of how it started and what it does.
William Hunter was born in December 1870, the eldest son of Post Messenger James Hunter and Barbara Brown, who lived in Manchester Lane. Later there were two more sons and two daughters, and they moved to a larger house at High Stanners.
William went to work at GB Grey, a tailoring and drapery business in Bridge Street. He became a skilled cutter and even won a prize in a national competition by... read more
- 00:04 American wonderkid Will Vint agrees to join Manchester United...
- 00:00 Video refs could be rolled out for EFL Cup
- 00:00 Insightful explorations of science fiction’s lengthy coming of age
- 00:00 Boyd with confidence
- 00:00 Radicalism obscured in gloom
- 00:00 RLIF backs nines cup for 2019
- 00:00 Astle’s family calls for Taylor to quit
- 00:00 Boycott put on ice after players win
- 00:00 Another corporate attack is looming
- 00:00 Labour members should be free to criticise Israel
- 00:00 Time for claimants’ voices to be heard nationally
- 00:00 Unite against neoliberalism
- 00:00 Ukraine: Polish consulate ‘attacked by terrorists’
- 00:00 EU leaders left bitter by Brexit ‘divorce’
- 00:00 South Africa: Zuma stays away from Kathrada’s funeral
- 00:00 Hospital workers to strike over zero-hours
- 00:00 40% cuts to legal aid have reduced system to ‘carnage’
- 00:00 NHS activists protest in York against health cut
- 23:59 'A leg-breaker', a headbutt, four sent off and Hibs boss Neil...
- 23:53 Mary Berry’s new ‘home happiness’ book will reveal her top secret...
- 23:52 Star Wars Battlefront 2 2017 UPDATE: New trailer announcement from EA
- 23:50 Turkey ends Euphrates Shield military campaign in Syria
- 23:46 Everton shouldn't blame James McCarthy for injury setback, insists...
- 23:46 Rangers have agreed £350,000 deal for Billy Gilmour with Chelsea if...
- 23:46 PFA Scotland chairman John Rankin warns Scottish football’s...
- 23:44 Neil Lennon accuses Morton player of trying to break Hibs star's...
- 23:41 Road too small for houses
- 23:41 “I get 250 smiles a day and it’s great”
- 23:41 Slimmer gets invitation to Parliament
- 23:39 US state department employee 'concealed contacts with China'