The spray on 'superconcrete' coating that can protect buildings against earthquakes
A new seismic-resistant, fiber-reinforced concrete will be used in its first real-life application this fall as part of a retrofit of a Vancouver elementary school.
The new material can be sprayed onto walls in a thin, 10-millimter (0.4-inch) layer to make them more resilient to shaking.
Instead of fracturing, the material would bend and continue to withstand stresses during an earthquake.
Researchers subjected the material to earthquake simulation tests, finding that it was able to withstand intensities as high as the 9-9.1 magnitude earthquake that struck Tohoku, Japain in 2011.
Scroll... read more
- 09:32 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits retiring from football is...
- 09:32 Priscilla Presley quits Scientology after nearly four decades
- 09:32 Paloma Faith reveals she is raising her child to be gender neutral
- 09:31 Woman, 23, arrested as baby dies after fall from sixth-floor window
- 09:31 Gerard Deulofeu insists there was 'no problem' with controversial...
- 09:31 Marc Marquez moves within touching distance of fourth MotoGP world...
- 09:31 Justin Thomas secures £1.26m PGA Tour prize after beating Marc...
- 09:30 Boy with Down’s Syndrome is the new star of River Island’s kids’ range
- 09:28 Charity night tickets selling
- 09:28 Responding to concerns
- 09:28 Derby County defender should have been sent off, says Sheffield...
- 09:26 Woman, 23, arrested as baby dies after fall from sixth-floor window
- 09:25 Fabian Delph makes a big prediction about Man City teammate Sergio...
- 09:21 5 houses in Hull which cost less than £55,000 and just need some TLC
- 09:21 Man trapped in serious crash which has closed the A165
- 09:20 Carlisle teenager named as one of world's best young poets
- 09:19 Poorly puppy owner tries to raise £3,000 for treatment
- 09:19 GALLERY; ‘Core’ blimey - apple event near Skegness attracts 850
- 09:18 PCSO whose heart stopped has emotional reunion with medics who...
- 09:18 North East news LIVE: Major delays on the Metro network due to...
- 09:18 Stephen Robinson: Grab your chance to beat Rangers and reach League...
- 09:16 Journey from pit to paint factory
- 09:16 Two lanes closed on M1 due to overturned van
- 09:16 27-year-old man is in intensive care after hit-and-run
- 09:11 Paul Robinson: Louth Cattle Market is part of a ‘complicated jigsaw’
- 09:11 Woman tracks down her missing cat after uploading its photo to Tinder
- 09:10 Away form is blighting Birmingham City - five things we learned...
- 09:08 No slide tackles and no shouting from sidelines - 12 new youth...
- 09:07 Italy referendums: Lombardy and Veneto vote on greater autonomy
- 09:06 Robin Hood’s Bay dance school backs Whitby charity WHISH nets £200