The self-healing needle: Device inspired by MUSSELS plugs its own puncture wound after an injection
It may not be enough to remove the fear some of us have of needles
But now scientists have invented a hypodermic syringe which seals the hole it leaves behind after it is removed.
The needle coated in a film physically plugs the gap left in a vein when it is removed.
And thanks for the breakthrough comes from an unlikely quarter – the mussel.
The shellfish’s ability to stick to a surface in the wet inspired the adhesive material used on the syringe.
The breakthrough could help prevent a vast range of problems caused by bleeding under the skin.
Those most likely to benefit from the invention... read more
- 07:04 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 07:04 Breast isn’t always best, so stop shaming formula mums
- 07:03 Philippines' minister says Duterte agrees with ban on mining in...
- 07:03 Le Pen increases first round lead in French election - poll
- 07:02 ‘District council failed over pool cleanliness’
- 07:01 Manchester United News: Wayne Rooney update, Midfielder transfer...
- 07:01 Kasper Schmeichel plays down heroics to keep Leicester's Champions...
- 07:01 Shadow Housing Minister’s pledge for more affordable homes in...
- 07:00 Dialog Semiconductor sees good sales growth in 2017
- 06:59 Who's in charge of Hands Off HRI - and is the money safe? Here's...
- 06:58 BREAKING: Helen Bailey murder - Ian Stewart guilty of killing...
- 06:58 Man wanted over Blackpool attacks
- 06:58 Fylde Tories doubt over county plans
- 06:58 Fast and furious waterpark slides get the thumbs up
- 06:58 Homes plan wins council approval
- 06:58 Donald Trump revokes Obama policy that affected transgender students
- 06:58 Mum’s Corrie delight after acting break
- 06:58 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses
- 06:58 Museum Trust enjoys success with open day
- 06:58 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 06:57 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 06:57 One horse hit by vehicle after ponies run loose on A19
- 06:57 Hartlepool homeowner threatened with court for paving over his...
- 06:57 Extra support for Hartlepool and North Tees midwives
- 06:56 Italy says no problem with construction of TAP pipeline
- 06:56 Tech breakthroughs take a backseat in upcoming Apple iPhone launch
- 06:54 Isle fat loss expert ties the knot
- 06:54 European boss makes big revelation about managing Liverpool
- 06:54 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 06:53 Heartbreak for family of boy with cancer as they reveal new tumours...