The pound suffers ‘flash crash’ in worst drop since Brexit vote
Chancellor Philip Hammond has urged people to remain calm despite sterling suffering a shocking ‘flash crash’.
The pound plummeted dramatically in Friday’s Asian trading, with most fingers of blame pointed squarely at concerns over Brexit.
It fell 6% to $1.1841 – the biggest drop since the referendum result was announced on June 24.
Sterling later recovered some of those losses, but remains volatile.
Speaking to the BBC, Hammond said that ‘markets will go up and down – markets respond to noises’.
Apes can 'read each other's minds', science proves ‘We are going to go through a period of... read more
- 08:01 My dad survived cancer... so can I
- 08:01 Parent took child to Blackpool A&E because of dog muck on shoes...
- 08:01 Gary Neville: This was the turning point for Antonio Conte at Chelsea
- 08:00 Stratford AC rise to the occasion at Welcombe Hills
- 07:58 Bruno Martins Indi keen on extending stay at Stoke
- 07:58 Man Utd fans - have you seen the state of Zorya's pitch ahead of...
- 07:56 Ban for owner of ex-racehorse so thin 'every bone in his body'...
- 07:56 Model cars worth £110,000 to go under the hammer in Dudley
- 07:56 Work to start on £2 million Staffordshire flood defences
- 07:56 Elderly South Derbyshire man scammed out of money and valuables
- 07:56 Greeks strike against austerity before budget vote, bailout review
- 07:56 Aleppo displaced hide out in last rebel districts as army closes in
- 07:56 Principal uses redundancy money to fund unique new school
- 07:55 Medals galore for Stratford rowers
- 07:55 Far right Swiss People's Party rules out demanding referendum on...
- 07:53 Watch out for Santa’s sleigh
- 07:53 In the courts of Lincolnshire...
- 07:52 M1 crash near A52 Brian Clough Way causes traffic problems
- 07:51 Grimsby Town winger Ashley Chambers talks about his comeback from...
- 07:51 Grimsby Town vs Portsmouth MATCH PREVIEW: Ashley Chambers desperate...
- 07:50 Santa body shames nine-year-old boy
- 07:50 Arsenal legend: Arsene Wenger had the chance to sign this superstar...
- 07:50 Transfer News: Arsenal’s Cazorla replacement, Chelsea eye £38m bid,...
- 07:50 Russia says close to reaching understanding on Aleppo with U.S. - Ifax
- 07:48 Former Caralot partner Jamie Caple apologises after Spondon firm...
- 07:47 New average speed cameras on a Lincolnshire road catch 190 speeding...
- 07:47 Driver in disbelief over parking ticket for being 10 SECONDS late
- 07:47 Why are the swans disappearing from Brayford Pool in Lincoln?
- 07:47 New home for flood-hit centre
- 07:47 Barton under Needwood became a different place the day Arnold...