The pound has crashed, we are poorer... it’s that simple, says SIMON WATKINS
The FTSE 100 has risen since the Brexit vote as the Out campaigners have not ceased to crow. Clear evidence, they say, that Brexit is not bad for the UK.
Then last week, as the country reeled under Marmitegate, they claimed that Unilever was a ghastly corporation that was using Brexit unfairly to raise its prices.
Although it may not seem so at first sight, these two issues are directly related and they illustrate the incoherence of some Brexiteers’ arguments.
As I have not ceased to point out since June 23, the rise in the FTSE 100 is categorically not a sign that the UK economy will sail... read more
- 15:10 ‘The service is a joke’ - Metro passengers react to new timetable news
- 15:10 'Despicable' thieves burgle Sheffield boy's home as he lies...
- 15:09 Britain's 12 Brexit objectives - which are the most important?
- 15:09 Is it likely that MH370 will ever be found?
- 15:09 Rangers 0 Celtic 1 as Tommy McIntyre’s Under 20s edge win
- 15:09 Celtic and Rangers plus Hearts and Aberdeen transfer latest – watch...
- 15:08 Warning over WhatsApp 'free Wi-Fi' scam message
- 15:07 Farmhouse breakfasts support rural housing charity
- 15:07 Leonne Weeks death: What we know so far
- 15:07 Chelsea great Pat Nevin hails the contribution of unsung hero...
- 15:07 Charlie Nicholas urges Arsene Wenger to sell Arsenal midfielder...
- 15:07 Guardian recommends things to do this week
- 15:07 ‘Selfish’ school-run mum denies blocking people’s driveways with...
- 15:07 NHS bill for swimming infections
- 15:07 Germany's Gabriel welcomes clarity on Brexit after May's speech
- 15:07 Would you stick needles in your baby to stop it crying?
- 15:07 How long you have to spend the old £5 notes before they cease to be...
- 15:07 Iran says it is against U.S. presence in Syria talks in Astana
- 15:06 Incredible plans unveiled for world's first 'floating city' in the...
- 15:05 Latest Trump Tweets leave automakers scratching heads again
- 15:05 Michy Batshuayi denies rift with Chelsea boss Antonio Conte on Twitter
- 15:05 Republican ‘said he no longer has to be politically correct then...
- 15:05 Pupils in Race for Life challenge
- 15:04 Get your valuables security marked at free event
- 15:04 Company looking for cleaners willing to work naked across northern...
- 15:03 Manchester United's Ander Herrera picks up Juan Mata from his house...
- 15:03 Man killed in crash on A16
- 15:03 Avian flu found in second 6,000 bird strong flock of turkeys in...
- 15:02 Meir Heath baby Connor McCue set to leave intensive care after...
- 15:02 EastEnders disaster, terror and showdown: 10 big spoilers and full...