The pound flash crash cost Sports Direct £35m in profits with robot traders blamed for the plunge
Sports Direct warned of a £35million profit hit from a flash crash in the pound – prompting Chancellor Philip Hammond to call for calm on the currency markets.
Sterling collapsed 9 per cent against the dollar in seconds shortly after midnight yesterday, falling under $1.15 before immediately bouncing back up.
Robot traders are thought to be behind the unprecedented plunge. And the collapse led experts to warn tough-talking politicians on the Continent that they were 'sitting on a bed of nitroglycerin' and could crash the bloc's economy.
Beleaguered retailer Sports Direct became the first... read more
- 14:01 Parachute plot: The ex-girlfriend who walked away
- 14:00 Where to eat in June: New London restaurants you should check out
- 14:00 Project Update: Final element of retail park bid given green light
- 14:00 Nexus reveal Bank Holiday timetable changes for Metro services
- 13:59 Harvey Weinstein charged with rape and sex abuse against two women
- 13:57 Boy, 15, arrested over murder of Sheffield teenager
- 13:57 It could all be so simple … why did Lauryn Hill disappear?
- 13:57 Fans left with 'invalid' tickets in Ed Sheeran anti-tout scheme
- 13:57 School's sponsored silence raises £1k for vital charity
- 13:55 Kickboxing star who spars with Tyson Fury claims Gypsy King would...
- 13:54 School's sponsored silence raises £1k for vital charity
- 13:53 Bosses blame bad winter weather for delay in opening Sunderland's...
- 13:50 Lakeland Dialect Society to hold church service
- 13:49 Father's warning after daughter cuts her arm on broken glass on...
- 13:47 Ptich perfect boost for Preston youth football club
- 13:47 Emergency incident blocks all railway lines between Meadowhall and...
- 13:46 Saudi Arabia arrests key activist in human rights crackdown
- 13:46 Woman who posted Holocaust denial songs to YouTube convicted
- 13:46 Timely questions
- 13:46 Arts ahead
- 13:46 How £12,000 purchase has helped academics assemble world’s most...
- 13:46 Wellesbourne Ladies finish as region’s best in Super Sunday tournament
- 13:44 10 of the most luxurious boutique hotels in Yorkshire for a...
- 13:41 The four gadgets you need to protect your car: Motorists flock to...
- 13:40 Travellers cause devastation after trashing youth football club site
- 13:39 Emergency incident blocks all railway lines between Meadowhall and...
- 13:39 UK's council planners overworked, underpaid and abused, experts say
- 13:39 Constable and Turner landscapes reunited for first time since 1831
- 13:39 Man ‘assaulted girlfriend after “forcibly tickling” her’
- 13:38 'Not safe, not effective, not well led': Mental health services...