The painfully slow death of the regional accent
Visitors expecting to hear the crisp tones of the Queen’s English on the streets of London may soon be disappointed.
Experts are predicting that within 50 years, we could also see the loss of our favourite Yorkshire, Geordie and Scottish accents.
Schoolboy learned sign language so he could help deaf student settle in at new school A new report has found the more we use text-speak and interact with voice-controlled machines, the more our accents are likely to simplify – and eventually die out.
We’re all basically going to wind up sounding like each other.
To view this... read more
- 11:37 How do you treat very young sexual offenders?
- 11:36 Syrian refugees found working in factories supplying UK retailers
- 11:35 Are these the worst views in Britain?
- 11:35 South Cumbria youngsters given a lesson in life saving
- 11:35 Green-fingered Barrow youngsters grow pumpkin patch in school garden
- 11:35 11 ‘micro-crimes’ you’ve probably committed
- 11:34 Kelechi Iheanacho calls for 'focus' in order to improve Manchester...
- 11:34 By (St) George! This one's close to home...
- 11:34 Chelsea can win Premier League title, says Pedro
- 11:34 Where are the best places in Leicestershire to enjoy an autumnal walk?
- 11:33 Concern growing for missing Bourne teenager
- 11:32 Tracker allows drivers to check roads have been gritted
- 11:31 Drivers sent message from pupils and police
- 11:31 Heading a ball can cause significant changes in brain function
- 11:31 Five people die after a plane crashes in Malta International Airport
- 11:30 Woman becomes country’s first nursery school teacher with...
- 11:30 CJ de Mooi won’t be extradited to Holland over claims he killed a...
- 11:29 Justin Bieber 'storms off stage' because of fans screaming between...
- 11:29 Stratford up to third as Sutton are sunk
- 11:28 Woman suffers multiple injuries after two-car smash in Trinity...
- 11:28 Dog resembling Dracula from Kenilworth Dogs Trust needs rehoming
- 11:28 Webcams used to attack Reddit and Twitter recalled
- 11:28 Liverpool stars enjoy Frozen-themed family day out following 2-1...
- 11:28 Manchester United aren't putting the yards in and Jesus Navas is...
- 11:28 Premier League title and the seven contenders: Can it be Arsenal or...
- 11:27 Mother-of-four who was bitten by an insect 2 YEARS ago is left...
- 11:27 Pregnant women are more likely to get confused and lost when they...
- 11:27 Justin Bieber 'storms off stage' because of fans screaming between...
- 11:26 Carer of the Year Awards 2016: Send in your nominations for...
- 11:25 Healthcare sector 'prime soft target for cyber criminals'