The oil crash has killed the economic case for independence - it's time to move on
It doesn’t take a genius to work out the Scottish economy desperately needs to move on from oil.
The public finances have taken a hammering in recent years as the price of a barrel plummeted.
Scotland generated £8billion in tax receipts from the North Sea in 2011-12. The equivalent figure last year was £208million.
Those figures don’t take into account the impact of the tens of thousands of job losses the industry has suffered since 2015.
So while the central point of Nicola Sturgeon’s speech on the economy was obvious, it’s still welcome to hear her say it.
The days of Aberdeen being an... read more
- 07:50 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:50 Jacinda Ardern baby: New Zealand prime minister gives birth to a girl
- 07:50 Love Island: Adam sparks warning from charity Women's Aid
- 07:49 Ruben Loftus-Cheek threatens to quit Chelsea for first-team football
- 07:49 Roy Keane regrets not ripping Carlos Queiroz’s head off during...
- 07:49 Hartshead secure third win after successful run chase
- 07:49 Haynes bowls Birstall to sixth victory as promotion challenge...
- 07:48 Wolves transfer special: Why this is gearing up to be the most...
- 07:46 Football transfer rumours: Liverpool eye up Lascelles and Tarkowski?
- 07:46 Nick Phipps and Lukhan Tui in for Australia's decider with Ireland
- 07:46 Investigation launched into huge fire
- 07:44 New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gives birth to baby girl
- 07:44 MotoGP news: Valentino Rossi strategy to beat Marc Marquez revealed...
- 07:44 Shock deal for Arsenal midfielder looks nailed on bookies claim
- 07:42 Scots urged to turn to tap to arrest plastic bottle scourge
- 07:42 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:41 Call for upskirting bill to include 'deepfake' pornography ban
- 07:41 Jacinda Ardern: New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- 07:41 Minibus carrying 16 passengers crashes into garden on A1028 in Ulceby
- 07:40 Day four of Burton Bridge roadworks gets under way - live updates
- 07:39 Vulnerable pupils abandoned by schools, head of Ofsted warns
- 07:38 Thieves steal from person's mobility scooter while parked in...
- 07:38 100th birthday celebration for Washington dairy queen Elsie
- 07:36 Patriotic Hartlepool DJ flying the flag for England in the World Cup
- 07:35 BAE Systems wins £150 million tank contract with US Marine Corps
- 07:34 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:33 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:33 Dad-of-10 who fled family after crash dies in prison during...
- 07:33 Bosses make humble public apology after worker got just...
- 07:30 Dixons Carphone sees big profits fall