The morning news headlines: May offers troops protection against legal claims arising from conflicts
MAY OFFERS TROOPS PROTECTION AGAINST LEGAL CLAIMS ARISING FROM CONFLICTS
Theresa May is to offer British troops protection against vexatious legal claims arising from future conflicts by introducing an automatic opt-out from certain aspects of human rights law.
Under changes being announced at the Conservative conference in Birmingham, the Government will adopt a presumption that it will "derogate" from the European Convention on Human Rights at times of war.
Mrs May said the move should end an "industry of vexatious claims" which has seen veterans of Iraq and... read more
- 09:09 Country & Coast: Garden watch gives meagre mammal count of just ten
- 09:09 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 09:08 Aberdeen would have folded against Hibs in the past but we are so...
- 09:08 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 09:08 Stalker is spared from jail after making victim’s life hell
- 09:08 South Shields’ The Word wins four gongs at building awards
- 09:08 Dana White admits he gives Conor McGregor a lot more leeway than...
- 09:08 South Shields ‘run face’ man delighted after marathon effort
- 09:07 Doncaster football legend Kevin Keegan awarded damages after...
- 09:07 Root relishes challenge of aiding Yorkshire’s pursuit of one-day glory
- 09:06 Volunteers urged to help clean up Durham Heritage Coast
- 09:06 Arsenal face competition from four clubs for Alexandre...
- 09:06 Madeleine McCann disappearance: Detectives still pursuing...
- 09:06 Hartlepool United’s new boss is confident: 100%
- 09:06 The Odd Couple takes centre stage
- 09:05 Firefighters tackle bedroom fire in Doncaster
- 09:05 Real Madrid star's wife makes huge transfer revelation: He wants to...
- 09:05 Facebook baby killing: Grief and questions after shocking murder
- 09:05 Campaigners tell politicians: Get off the fence over Rainford’s...
- 09:04 Huge Kylian Mbappe update: Club to make £85m bid for Monaco star
- 09:04 Man accused of tying up Gainsborough OAP charged with four more...
- 09:04 Two teenagers arrested after fight outside Nottingham Academy
- 09:04 Bassetlaw prepares to welcome stage of the OVO Energy Tour of Britain
- 09:03 Blackpool: From the courts 26-04-17
- 09:03 Airport duty free more expensive than supermarkets, new study finds
- 09:03 Taxis in South Tyneside spark row after parking in disabled bays
- 09:02 Last-gasp winner shows Dundee United are up for promotion fight,...
- 09:02 St Johnstone want to make their mark in Europe
- 09:03 Train strike to go ahead after talks fail
- 09:02 Dundee interim boss Neil McCann admits he already has team in mind...