The moon is getting a makeover: 180 new craters appear on the lunar surface every year
The moon is bombarded by so much space rock that its surface gets a complete facelift every 81,000 years, according to a study based on Nasa data.
The study also estimates that asteroids and comets crashing into Earth's only natural satellite create, on average, 180 new craters at least 33 feet (10 metres) in diameter every year.
This is a third more than previous estimates, and it means astronauts visiting the moon will have to be more careful to avoid the flying space rocks.
METEORITES ON EARTH Earth is also constantly pelted by asteroids and meteors, but is protected by a thick... read more
- 16:56 British Steel beefs up distribution teams as construction sector...
- 16:55 Nottingham burger restaurant offers all-you-can-eat deal every...
- 16:54 John Joyce re-elected as Addleshaw Goddard’s managing partner
- 16:54 All eight Lincolnshire councils could be abolished saving £150m
- 16:54 Rasen man jailed after knife attack in town centre
- 16:52 Stacey Solomon confesses her sexual fantasies and says she hopes...
- 16:52 'Allo 'Allo! star Gorden Kaye dies aged 75
- 16:48 Four in 10 junior doctors have fallen asleep at wheel
- 16:48 Family of drug dealer ordered to hand over FOUR houses
- 16:48 Extra trains running for Leicester City's FA Cup game at Derby County
- 16:48 Anderson Silva offers advice to Ronda Rousey following UFC 207 loss
- 16:47 Is Tesco offering a bum deal on toilet roll?
- 16:47 ATR boss troubled by competition impact of Bombardier bailout
- 16:46 Government confirm HS2 cannot buy Long Eaton land not linked to...
- 16:46 Stop talking rubbish, this tree is not an ISIS terror threat says...
- 16:45 Resident Evil 7 biohazard review – survival horror reborn
- 16:45 Actor Gorden Kaye, known as ‘Allo ‘Allo’s Rene Artois, dies at the...
- 16:45 Man tries to trip up teenager before victim has bike stolen in Corby
- 16:45 Lightsaber martial arts is a thing, and we tried it
- 16:45 Compensation available to people affected by loss of gas supply in...
- 16:45 Eurovision 2017: Which former X Factor contestant will represent...
- 16:44 What's your chance of developing lung cancer? Map reveals those...
- 16:44 Why a glucose drip could be the key to speeding up birth for women...
- 16:44 QUIZ: Can you be perfectly Frank when it comes to Sheffield-bound...
- 16:44 Mecca looking to reward couples who fell in love at the bingo
- 16:43 Expected Liverpool XI: Star man to return to Jurgen Klopp's 4-3-3...
- 16:43 Why you shouldn't worry about eating burnt toast and roast potatoes
- 16:43 POLL RESULT: How you voted on Theresa May and the single market
- 16:43 Lincolnshire County Council leader calls for poll on unitary authority
- 16:43 Drivers feel the pinch as the price of diesel hits a two-year high...