The International Tennis Federation hits back at criticism over handling of Maria Sharapova's drugs ban
The International Tennis Federation (ITF) hit back on Thursday at criticism over its handling of Maria Sharapova's drugs ban for meldonium.
The administrator of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme denied it had sought a four-year ban for the former world No 1 and, in a statement, rejected suggestions by the Russian that its independent tribunal was 'not neutral'.
The ITF also emphasised it had not known, prior to this year when the drug was put on the banned list, that meldonium was in common use by eastern European athletes.
RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Johanna Konta beats Karolina... read more
- 09:51 POUND LIVE: Pound pauses after DUP deal ahead of Queen's Speech vote
- 09:51 ‘Hole in the wall’ proving cash is still king on 50th birthday
- 09:50 COMMENT: 900m reasons why we must stick with devolution in...
- 09:50 Return in sight for PNE’s Woods after full season out
- 09:50 Resurgent interest in Victoria Quays
- 09:50 England coaches are good enough – Simpson
- 09:50 Manchester United set to complete Ethan Galbraith signing this weekend
- 09:50 Hull given £15m by Heritage Lottery to secure its future in tourism
- 09:49 Charlotte Church reveals she has lost her unborn baby
- 09:49 Future of key buildings in Wellingborough to be discussed by...
- 09:49 Cash and jewellery stolen in Kettering burglary
- 09:48 Man sprayed CS gas into eyes of Cumbrian police officer trying to...
- 09:47 REGIONAL: Police officer jobs announced
- 09:47 Barcelona set deadline for Hector Bellerin signing as they grow...
- 09:43 Yellow weather warning for rain issued
- 09:42 Choking the life out of seabirds, the rubbish littering our...
- 09:42 Who's a big boy? Dog owners share side-by-side snaps of their...
- 09:42 Panoramic FAIL: The amusing, bizarre and downright scary results of...
- 09:42 Interview with Richard Blackledge: Former businessman and Master...
- 09:41 Inspectors praise support for Northamptonshire children with...
- 09:41 Everton want £10m Andre Gray: Burnley eye Britt Assombalonga as...
- 09:41 Everton eye Sheffield United midfielder David Brooks following...
- 09:41 Course on how to deal with stress
- 09:40 Tourism's time to seize opportunity
- 09:40 Boost for brain injury survivors on coast
- 09:40 Stephen Good: Innovation is change that unlocks new value
- 09:40 GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks, dollar ease ahead of slew of c.bank speeches
- 09:39 Fastest broadband areas in the UK have been revealed
- 09:39 'It's absolutely disgraceful' - Residents hit out at grass verge...
- 09:37 Meet the bikers who give up their weekend to save the NHS £20,000