The 'impossible' fuel-free engine that may one day take man to Mars in 10 WEEKS gets an upgrade: Patent reveals improved EmDrive design
It has been dubbed the 'impossible engine', that some say could take humans to Mars in just 10 weeks, but nobody knows exactly how it works.
Now the 'EmDrive', that creates thrust by bouncing microwaves around in an enclosed chamber using only solar power, has been given an upgrade.
Inventor Roger Shawyer has filed a patent for a new version of the machine, which includes a superconducting plate to make the thrust more powerful.
Scroll down for video
WHAT IS THE EMDRIVE? The concept of an EmDrive engine is relatively simple.
It provides thrust to a spacecraft by bouncing microwaves around... read more
- 15:42 As austerity digs in, Greek courts are battleground on foreclosures
- 15:42 Rugby fund backs Rugby school
- 15:42 New project will create graduate jobs at small Notts businesses
- 15:41 Krispy Kreme has changed name because Brits can't say it properly
- 15:41 Fylde graphic house defies Brexit in global talent hunt
- 15:41 Restorative justice project launched in Northumberland
- 15:40 Selly Park travellers hit with eviction notice after SIXTH illegal...
- 15:40 Reward of up to £25,000 to catch people scamming cash machines
- 15:40 Police issue photo of man in hunt for lottery ticket scam gang
- 15:39 Does not drinking enough water really make your vagina dehydrated?
- 15:39 WARNING: Thieves target cars in Bamber Bridge
- 15:39 Expected Man Utd XI: Who is fit for Jose Mourinho’s 4-2-3-1 to take...
- 15:38 Arrest warrant as Telford burglar, 31, is jailed in his absence
- 15:37 Krispy Kreme has changed name because Brits can't say it properly
- 15:37 Greggs bakery heir Colin Gregg jailed for abusing boys
- 15:36 Wrexham AFC striker George Harry delighted to open his senior account
- 15:35 Why Ferrari will continue to dominate Mercedes and Red Bull in...
- 15:35 Police appeal after man exposes himself to teenage girls
- 15:35 Vodka thief sent back to prison for £7 theft in Mansfield
- 15:35 Call of Duty WW2 update: Here's when will Call of Duty 2017 will be...
- 15:35 Justice League: You won’t BELIEVE how long the Batman v Superman...
- 15:34 Creators in chief: The 10 Prem stars to create the most chances...
- 15:34 Dog owners warned after Alabama Rot case confirmed near Warwick
- 15:33 Driver took 44 TONNE lorry on Swarkestone Bridge (the limit is 7.5...
- 15:33 'He could have played for Manchester United' - Birmingham City fans...
- 15:33 Niall Farrell: Remember the name of this wonderkid-in-waiting
- 15:31 Passerby finds body of woman, 60, in River Trent
- 15:31 Malaysia only talking to Dassault about fighter purchase - French...
- 15:31 'We will believe you': Police urge sex abuse victims to come...
- 15:31 VIDEO: 'Gun-toting and axe-wielding thugs have hijacked our...